Business Center Operations Leader – Buildings
City : Yellowknife
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Business Center Operations Leader - Buildings - ( 2300023J )
The buildings and the infrastructure that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We are actively seeking a Business Center Operations Lead (BCOL) to lead our multi-disciplinary Buildings Business Center for the Northern Territories with the goal of significantly growing our presence in the regional market. This position will be based out of our Whitehorse, Yellowknife, or Iqaluit offices.
The successful candidate will be someone with exceptional leadership, communication, and business acumen that will help set the vision for how the practice expands its business within the province. The focus of the position will be to; provide operational oversight, further diversify the client and project base of the Northern Buildings Group, partner with the other buildings business leaders in the day-to-day operation of the group, support cross-selling and resource sharing, and personally participate in the securing and execution of strategic projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Stantec in Northern Canada is represented by a Buildings Sector Business Center that operates nine busy disciplines including: Architecture, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Interior Design, Environmental Services, Civil Engineering, Geotechnical, and Planning Services based out of our Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Iqaluit offices. The Group is a fully integrated, multidisciplinary team consisting of approximately 70 professional, technical, and administrative staff that have a deep heritage in the North. Working with our public and private sector clients, our professional services improve our communities at the regional, national, and international levels.
- As BCOL you will be responsible for the operational, financial, and technical excellence of our multi-disciplinary practice. The primary goal is to achieve operational excellence, while maintaining an engaged and passionate team and highly satisfied clients. You will also participate in project pursuits, marketing and business development, and the successful delivery of projects.
- Reporting directly to the Buildings Regional Business Leader, this position also works closely with the Regional Leader for the Prairies and Territories region.
- It is the expectation that all leadership roles have a maximum term of 5-years, with the opportunity to reevaluate at the end of the term and for the purpose of succession and company growth.
- Continue the evolution of our strong design and people-oriented culture.
- Be responsible for the overall high performance of the Business Center including financial, business development, operational and employee performance.
- Actively manage and elevate critical issues, as appropriate, to our risk management team.
- Actively participate in the preparation of proposals and the development of fee estimates.
- Implement Stantec policies and strategies.
- Be an engaged leader within the Business Center.
- Actively coach and support the career development of staff and take personal responsibility for employee engagement, retention, and recruitment.
- Lead employee resource management, succession planning, and identifying and developing future leaders.
- Attract, grow, and retain high quality staff.
- Foster collaboration across business lines.
- In partnership with the Business Center Sector Leader and Business Center Quality Assurance Leader, achieve the BC’s marketing and business development objectives and the Business Center’s project management and design quality objectives.
- Work collaboratively with the other Buildings leaders to achieve key business development, financial, and operational performance goals across Stantec.
- Collaborate with other BCOLs to develop and leverage expertise across offices.
Marketing and Business Development
- Proactively use, promote, and manage the Stantec Pipeline for business development pursuits.
- Respond to the unique challenges of the Alternative Project Delivery marketplace.
- Achieve operational and financial objectives.
- In consultation with the business center leadership, develop the annual business plan and budget for the business line operations.
- Provide financial management support to junior project managers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The candidate will have demonstrated leadership, communication, and people skills. This should be demonstrated through previous experience in the management of large professional teams, preferably in an integrated design environment.
- The candidate will have a general understanding of the buildings marketplace in the North.
- The candidate will maintain well-developed written communication skills in the preparation of technical reports, correspondence, and proposals.
- The successful candidate will have proven ability to articulate their vision and create a high level of engagement with staff.
- The BCOL must be an individual who has the personality, experience, and ability to effectively lead, challenge, and inspire the team to work together cohesively to support the Stantec Buildings Business Operating Unit’s goal to be a world-leading integrated design firm.
- Relationships with existing buildings clients, consultants, and contractors would be an asset.
- The candidate will also have experience with conventional and alternate forms of project delivery.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in a related field with a minimum of 10 years’ related work, leadership, financial management, business development, and consulting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Professional registration in a related field.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; but may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Other Locations : Canada-Nunavut-Iqaluit, Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 12, 2023, 11:24:42 AM
Req ID: 2300023J
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans