Business Analyst (Iii)
City : Hamilton
Category : Other
Industry : Education
Employer : McMaster University
The Financial Systems Support department provides functional production support and maintenance for the financial Mosaic (PeopleSoft) modules (Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Travel & Expense, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Bank Reconciliation, General Ledger, Commitment Control, E‐procurement(MacBuy),Workflow and Project Costing). The department ensures the system is stable and that issues are corrected in a timely manner. The department is responsible for providing reconciliations and correction of data errors of sub modules and other systems (HR, Campus, Budgeting, Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence, other interfaces) to GL to ensure data integrity and reliability for both internal and external reporting. The department works in conjunction with UTS on issue resolution as well as regular system upgrades and system improvements. Financial report development, improvements and maintenance is also led by this department.
This position reports to the Director of Financial Systems Support.
The Business Analyst (III) acts as a technical and consulting resource for complex issues related to various University departments and units with respect to the functional operation and maintenance of the University’s administrative information system (Mosaic) which includes four modules: student administration, finance, research administration, and human resources. Supports the University's academic and administration departments by acting in a functional capacity to provide expert knowledge of business functions and requirements, acts as a subject matter expert in using Mosaic modules and identifying and trouble-shooting system issues and improvements. Continuously gains an understanding of the University's operations and processes and how systems are used in support of those operations. Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability and exercises substantial personal responsibility and accountability to deliver results.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Facilitate large group information requirements gathering sessions, and training workshops.
- Ensure appropriate business participation in Mosaic projects.
- Utilize the appropriate control tools to coordinate small and medium size projects according to established methodologies.
- Develop success criteria and risk assessments for small to medium size projects and changes.
- Develop, implement, and document best practices to align with departmental and University strategies and processes.
- Work independently with users to define concepts.
- Drive and challenge business units on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Ensure that projects meet specified functionality requirements.
- Perform advanced levels of analysis, problem solving and research skills to formulate solutions to complex business needs.
- Perform the functional analysis for production support activities and advise business users in the analysis of less complex issues.
- Work with project stakeholders to understand project scope and create test documents.
- Aid in the development and execution of all phases of testing including, but not limited to, system, integration,acceptance, regression, and performance.
- Document system functionality, particularly related to new enhancements.
- Develop and maintain module process flow, methodology, and control documentation.
- Assist with the development of project proposals and estimates.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirement workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, and task and workflow analysis.
- Analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver artifacts such as functional requirements, business process models, use cases, screen and interface designs, test plans and test cases.
- Take ownership of functional issues by identifying underlying problems, analyzing potential solutions and implementing system resolutions, including workarounds.
- Provide Level I, II, and III support to users regarding functional issues.
- Work with the development team to determine technical approaches and technical risks for project testing.
- Prepare and assist other testers with the creation of test cases.
- Identify and manage defects identified during all phases of a project.
- Review test cases to ensure that the test cases adequately define the business processes.
- Resolve problems in the test, production implementation, and post-implementation phases in coordination with other technical and business groups.
- Develop complex queries using Business Intelligence tools.
- Review systems, processes, and information and provide recommendations to supervisor.
- Responsible for the reconciliation of sub-systems.
- Liaise between the technology and support teams.
- Interact with and exchange information with colleagues.
- Follow a test script and document defects.
- Prepare and review recommendations and other project initiation documents.
- Prepare and review end user and operations documentation, training materials, and timelines.
- Work with Supervisor to prioritize and schedule issues resolution.
- Plan, schedule, and monitor own work within short time horizons.
- Organize individual time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
- Understand and use appropriate methods, tools, and applications to complete work tasks.
- Demonstrate a rational and organized approach to work and identify development opportunities.
- Ensure that the internal and external customer perspective is a driving force behind decisions and activities.
- Interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the University.
- Work collaboratively with others to achieve departmental and institutional goals. Actively participate as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Perform a range of varied work activities in a variety of structured environments.
- Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Apply and enforce department change control policies and procedures.
- Remain current with frequent developments in a specialized field.
Provide direction to others in how to carry out work tasks
- Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft Financials is preferred
- Functional accounting knowledge and knowledge of University structure.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, issue identification and resolution skills with strong skills in building strong, collaborative partnerships with colleagues and customers.
- Ability to work with minimal direction and supervision
- This BSA III position reports to the Director, Financial Systems Support within Financial Affairs and will be working with and supporting the Finance modules of Peoplesoft, in particular General Ledger, Commitment Control, Interfaces from external software as well as between HR and Campus Solutions, Workflow, end user support, and Chart of Accounts maintenance.
- Assists other BA’s with module to GL discrepancies
- Will work closely with Accounting and Control on the university’s fiscal year-end process
- Will work closely with end users on problem areas and error corrections
- Will work with university technology services on production issue enhancements and resolutions
- Will develop queries and provide analysis for end users data information needs as well as monthly module reconciliations/reallocations to GL