Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: BUSINESS ADVISOR, BUSINESS PERFORMANCE & ADVISORY SERVICES
The Business Advisor is responsible for performing various audit and advisory engagements. The types of engagements include, but not limited to, the following categories:
• Compliance Audit
• Financial Audit
• Information Systems Audit
• Investigative Audit
• Operational (Performance) Audit
The Business Advisor coaches and mentors the Internal Audit Associate(s) assigned to engagements. This individual applies risk and control concepts to scenarios encountered and identifies any potential issues. The incumbent communicates identified issues with Manager, Business Performance & Advisory Services to ensure any potential concerns are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• An accounting designation (e.g. CPA) is required and the CIA designation is an asset.
• A minimum of at least 1 year post designation progressive experience with a focus on audit.
• Experience working in internal audit and/or large complex organizations is desirable, but not required.
• Knowledge of internal controls and risk management.
• Superior capability in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Word, Visio, Outlook).
• Experience working with Caseware is an asset.
• Proven track record of adding value to an organization through involvement in proactive implementation of effective controls, governance and risk management practices.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
• Ability to practically apply audit standards.
• Proactive in researching business best practice concepts in order to apply as appropriate.
• Solid listening skills and ability to apply professional skepticism.
• Strong organization and follow up skills including the ability to handle competing priorities and meet all deadlines and commitments.
• Ability to flourish in a fast-paced, complex environment and willing to adapt to change.
• Ability to give and follow instructions accurately and efficiently; proactive in asking clarifying questions to ensure work effort is directed wholly towards desired outcome.
• Ability to recognize when learned theoretical concepts should be applied.
• Solid understanding and ability to apply risk and control concepts.
• Ability to identify root cause of an issue raised.
• Awareness of interdepartmental risk, control and governance responsibilities and what is necessary for successful tactical collaboration and information sharing.
• Excellent written/verbal communication skills along with good or developing negotiation skills.
• Ability to identify sensitive issues and facilitate communications in a proactive manner to avoid surprises.
• Ability to apply tact and discretion when handling information that is confidential in nature.
• Willingness and ability to adapt to new circumstances, information and challenges.
• Execute effective and thorough application of all internal audit standards within assigned responsibility.
• Highly analytic with strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrate a positive, can-do attitude.
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to communicate and build rapport with all levels of the organization.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.