Buildings Sector Leader, Education
City : Waterloo
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Buildings Sector Leader, Education - ( 230001BI )
The Education sector is a collaborative, mission-driven community of designers, planners, and engineers. Crafting beautiful and innovative learning environments that support student success, wellness, sustainability, and the resilience of our communities is what drives us.
Our established team focuses on the K-12, higher education, and student housing markets, and works closely with the science and technology sector. Together, we strive to be a global leader in designing high performing educational environments that truly make a difference.
Are you ready for a new challenge leading a top tier educational design practice? If so, explore the joining our leadership team as the Sector Leader (SL) for Education. The successful candidate can knit together our multi-disciplinary, geographically dispersed team of passionate practitioners around the shared vision to design high performing educational and research environments that contribute to student success, inspire learning and discovery, and ultimately create a better world.
The Sector Leader for Education inspires and upholds the highest ambitions for our practice – to be the world’s leading integrated design firm. The Education SL is responsible and accountable for:
- Leading the sector’s vision, strategic goals, pursuits and project performance.
- Partnering across the practice to bring together pursuit and project teams.
- Contribute as a Buildings’ senior leader enhancing our practice through core responsibilities for strategic planning, market development, project execution, financial management, and talent retention and recruitment.
The Sector Leader will advance these responsibilities through engaging across the practice, its projects and pursuits, and the industry at large as a brand ambassador.
Your Key Responsibilities
Business Development & Collaboration:
- Sustain and grow our Education market presence, brand, and expertise.
- Develop and execute the sector’s vision, strategy and goals, as well as the annual sector plan and budget for implementation.
- Lead and manage the sector strategic pursuits through the Go / No-Go process and Top 20 pursuit program.
- Partner with practitioners across the practice to drive collaboration on pursuits across geographies and disciplines.
- Develop win strategies and successful project execution through being hands-on in key pursuits, client relationship development and project management.
- Collaborate with market leaders and sub-specialists, BC leaders and regional and national Sector Leader’s to develop and leverage expertise across our practice.
- Speak at selected conferences, publish thought-leadership pieces and maintain active memberships in associations (such as board posts and committee memberships).
- Contribute to the thought leadership and brand of Stantec, by sharing our knowledge and innovation stories at key client engagements, industry events and across our professional networks.
- Partner with the Marketing team to develop sector campaigns for Stantec brand recognition through presentation/speaking opportunities, papers, public relations, awards, etc.
- Contribute to and support Stantec client satisfaction/survey program.
- Solicit and facilitate sharing of industry knowledge.
- Mentor and coach next generation thought leaders.
Client & Project Focus
- Lead and participate in major opportunities that positively transform our communities and inspire and challenge us as designers.
- Lead delivery of significant project pursuits.
- Achieve utilization target of 25%.
- Achieve client- and proposal-specific marketing and business development sales goals, including internal cross-selling initiatives target of 50%.
Core Buildings Leadership Responsibilities
- Act as a highly regarded leader, thought partner, and a source of counsel and advice for the business.
- Identify emerging leaders across the organization for growth and advancement.
- Assist in the recruitment of emerging and top talent that has a strong knowledge of innovations and emerging design trends.
- Engage in and support resource management, career development, engagement, succession planning, coaching, mentoring, and leadership development across the discipline.
- Take a proactive role in furthering our presence and leading staff to participate in Professional Symposiums/ Publications/Webinars as well as partner with marketing and public relations for published articles and white papers to demonstrate excellence and thought leadership in targeted areas.
- Contribute to the annual business plan and budget, outlining the vision, focus, and priorities for implementation and setting specific goals for business and practice performance.
- Assist with developing the annual sector budget allocations, manage the allocation, and provide budget review.
Enhance our Practice
- Steward our community of Education sector practitioners to drive awareness of technical expertise, client relationships, the full breadth of education market services.
- Participate on the Buildings Leadership Team and actively collaborate with the BOUL, BLs, SLs, RBLs, and DLs in the improvement of project delivery and the strategies that can be employed to help differentiate us in the market on major pursuits.
- Position the Stantec Buildings practice platform as a preferred employer in the markets we work in for the purposes of staff recruitment and retention.
- Build relationships with other Stantec Business Lines and Sectors to foster cross-pollination of work and to capitalize on new business opportunities.
- Advance inclusion and diversity practices to maximize the human potential in our firm.
- Work with the leads of strategic growth initiatives to support their initiatives to win more work and evolve the long-term growth of our business.
- Contribute to Stantec’s Safer Together culture, prioritizing the physical and mental health and safety of our employees.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to lead, inspire and assemble teams with a strong entrepreneurial and collaborative approach.
- Recent, viable significant Education projects with innovative approaches.
- Exceptionally strong understanding of the education sector and its markets. Ability to read the market for growth opportunity and stay ahead of competitors.
- Demonstrated design acumen and leadership on significant projects and pursuits.
- Proven success in developing new clients, maintaining strong client relationships and delivering long-term value to clients for Stantec.
- Strong collaborator who can bring together multi-disciplinary, multi-BC teams on a variety of projects.
- Strong leader, team player, collaborator, and communicator with excellent people skills.
- Ability to travel to across North America as necessary.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree and professional registration in your area of practice, if applicable, with a minimum of ten years of experience in the education sector.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Organization : BC-1454 Buildings-CA National
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 20, 2023, 1:04:05 PM
Req ID: 230001BI
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans