Buildings Engineering Student / Intern – Buildings (Summer 2023)
City : Yellowknife
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Buildings Engineering Student / Intern - Buildings (Summer 2023) - ( 220004DD )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We have an opportunity for a Mechanical, Electrical, or Structural Engineering Student for a 4- up to 12-month term design role starting in May 2023. This opportunity is available in either our Whitehorse or Yellowknife office.
As a student you will be working within teams on various projects in an innovative and design orientated environment with close guidance and direction from an experienced Engineer or Designer. Responsibilities will be diverse and may range from the preparation of design drawings, studies, research, models, and technical drawings.
In the Territories, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas. Whether you’re interested in an adventure filled with fishing, hunting, skiing, biking, hiking or snowmobiling, or just looking to experience life in a beautiful, small urban centre, the Territories could be the place for you. Up here, work-life balance truly exists. Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
Under the close guidance and direction from an experienced Engineer or Designer:
- Prepare contract drawings, schematics, schedules, details, and sketches from conceptual design through to construction.
- Produce aspects of design and drawings in REVIT, as well as in AutoCAD.
- Assist in the design of building related mechanical, electrical, or structural systems across Canada using applicable codes, standards, and reference materials.
- Review equipment selections, perform preliminary engineering calculations, and develop preliminary designs.
- Facilitate and ensure the quality of the project deliverables.
- Follow production guidelines and project standards in the department drafting standards manual.
- Review shop drawings and other contractor submittals for compliance with construction documents.
- Perform field surveys for drawing developments, site reviews and as recorded drawings.
- Communicate with other team members and become familiar with Stantec standards. To complete assignments and projects in a timely manner as required by the Job Captain or supervisor.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge or familiarity using Autodesk Revit® and AutoCAD software in drafting and design of buildings related projects would be an asset.
- Knowledge or experience with building systems would be an asset.
- Prior experience in the construction industry would be an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with National Building Codes and applicable design codes would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with LEED standards, ASHRAE, ASPE and NFPA would be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written skills to communicate effectively with colleagues and staff; a “team player” approach.
- Self-motivated and self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Good time management skills and able to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Eager to learn with strong listening and critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience
- Working towards a degree as an Engineer from a reputable Canadian University.
- Available to start work in May 2023 for a 4- up to 12-month term internship.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Other Locations : Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 23, 2022, 5:06:11 PM
Req ID: 220004DD
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans