Building Performance Engineer
City : VANCOUVER
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Building Performance Engineer - ( 230001ZE )
Within the Buildings Engineering Practice Area, the Sustainability and Building Performance team provides consulting services in support of high quality and high performance projects, including performance engineering, LEED facilitation, energy management, and energy simulation services. The service areas reflect the interconnected systems-based nature of sustainability and include LEED Consulting, Building Performance Simulation, Energy Audits, Measurement & Verification services and support for Building Condition Assessments. This is where great people and great ideas truly make a difference.
Stantec is currently seeking a self-motivated engineer with specialized senior level expertise in sustainable design, energy efficiency, and building energy simulation. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership within Stantec’s Sustainability and Building Performance team, including responsibility for winning, managing, and delivering simulation assignments, mentoring and developing energy modeling staff, and working with leadership to grow Stantec’s simulation practice.
The qualified candidate will have considerable background in energy-efficient system design and simulation, Green Building Rating Systems: including but not limited to LEED, Green Globes, and Zero Carbon Design and Performance Standard, energy analysis studies, and energy management & incentive programs. A sound knowledge of HVAC and lighting systems, building control systems, energy conservation measures, greenhouse gas emission, and building energy simulation programs is expected. Exceptional communication skills, the ability to provide excellent client service and a commitment to sustainable design are essential for this position.
Your Key responsibilities:
- Manage and deliver building performance and simulation assignments (whole building energy modeling, natural ventilation design, thermal comfort, CFD etc.), and greenhouse gas emissions analysis.
- Mentor and develop junior energy modeling staff.
- Identify strategies and solutions, for clients that improve energy performance, indoor air quality, and thermal comfort.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to clients and/or design teams.
- Prepare NECB Performance Compliance Path documentation for Buildings Permit submission.
- Prepare LEED documentation associated with energy modeling; assist with coordination of other LEED documentation as necessary.
- Prepare Zero Carbon Building documentation associated with energy modeling; assist with coordination of other Zero Carbon Building documentation as necessary.
- Review and perform energy audits.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Experience with thermal comfort analysis, CFD (for natural ventilation and displacement ventilation), daylight simulation, life-cycle cost analysis, and/or existing building auditing preferred.
- Experience with calculating effective envelope performance and thermal bridging reductions.
- Strong background in energy-efficient system design and simulation, daylighting, LEED rating systems, energy analysis studies, and energy management & incentive programs.
- Familiarity with BC Energy Step Code, Vancouver Building Bylaw and Vancouver Energy Modelling Guidelines.
- Sound knowledge of HVAC and lighting systems, building control systems, energy conservation measures, greenhouse gas emission, and building physics.
- Experience with simulation software: IES (VE), EnergyPlus, Design Builder TRNSYS and eQuest.
- RETScreen experience an asset.
- Experience integrating BIM tools such as Revit with simulation tools such as IES an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to provide excellent client service.
- A commitment to sustainable design is essential for this position.
- Strong professional verbal and written communication skills -ability to communicate in a timely manner appropriate with clients and building design team members.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field. Those with a related bachelor’s degree may also be considered.
- Eligibility for APEGBC membership as an EIT or P.Eng.
- 8 years of experience in energy-efficient system design and simulation.
- LEED Accreditation.
- Certified Passive House Designer Accreditation considered an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Organization : BC-1156 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 4, 2023, 1:04:47 PM
Req ID: 230001ZE
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans