Building Automation Specialist
City : Gatineau
Category : Other
Industry : Professional Services
Employer : BGIS
Who We Are
BGIS is a leading provider of customized facility management and real estate services. With our combined team of over 6, 500 globally, we relentlessly focus on enabling innovation through the services we deliver, while actively looking for new opportunities that will enable innovation for our clients’ businesses. Globally, we manage over 320 million square feet of client portfolios across 30,000+ locations in North America, Europe, Middle East, Australia and Asia. Further information is available at www.bgis.com
The Building Automation Specialist is responsible for responsible for the Building Automation Systems (BAS) and other controls in the building including preventive and corrective maintenance, configuration modifications, programming, and developing and implementing optimization initiatives. They are also responsible for performing work in accordance with established processes and practices and for complying with internal and external requirements including but not limited to environmental, health and safety, fire protection.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Installation & Troubleshooting
- Responds to demand service requests for BAS/Control related issues to diagnoses and rectifies.
- Works with building operators and site managers to identify efficiencies and energy savings in building operations.
- Optimizes facility uptime and asset integrity of assigned facility.
- Develops recommendations for BAS system changes and implements approved changes which may include working with external control contractors for the programming.
- Performs commissioning inspections to transition projects from installation to an on-going operation.
- Performs systems monitoring, inspection, preventative, corrective and demand service maintenance on building automation/controls system (hardware and software), as well as energy management system and equipment and to ensure facility uptime, uninterrupted client operations, asset integrity, and energy and operating cost objectives are achieved.
- Ensures that the HVAC control strategy is stable and efficient.
- Ensures that the graphic user interface allows quick and accurate diagnostics. Works with vendor to implement improvements.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, repairs and optimizes building automation/controls systems and equipment. Also, may include work on security, surveillance and fire alarm systems.
- Oversees the overall implementation of BAS preventative maintenance program including vendor involvement. Ensures that deficiencies are identified, recorded and escalated, and that related documentation is maintained.
- Backups and maintains server platforms, both physical and virtual.
- Receives, actions, tracks, monitors and reports status of maintenance and repair work within the work order management system including progress notes and resolution notes.
- Monitors assigned facilities by conducting facility walkthroughs, building automation system monitoring and inspection of BAS interface as well as sequence of operation for optimization.
- Assists in the implementation of overall electrical/mechanical/fire protection preventative maintenance (PM) program. Ensures that deficiencies are identified, recorded and escalated, and that related documentations are maintained.
- Performs work in accordance to established processes and practices.
- Complies with all internal and external requirements including but not limited to environmental, health and safety, fire protection.
- Provides observations about facility building automation equipment and systems conditions and deficiencies and provides suggestions for enhancement and repair.
- Assists in enhancing tenant and customer satisfaction and maintaining positive relations through way work is performed and services delivered.
- Records resolution data within service maintenance management database. Ensures work completed meets quality, contract response and all other requirements.
- Receives, tracks, monitors and reports status of maintenance and repair work within service maintenance management database.
- Initiates documents to obtain formal approval of work required.
- Participates in and assists with facility-related projects.
- Maintains all assigned tools and arranges for repair and replacement where required.
- Submits all expenditures on a timely basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- College OR University Degree/Diploma/Certification in HVAC, Controls, and/or Building Operations is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field of designing, installing, programming, and/or maintenance of automated control/energy management systems.
- Demonstrated experience with computers, computer networks and internet protocols.
- Familiar with integration concepts and platforms such as BACnet systems.
- Operational experience in fault detection platforms considered an asset
- Good knowledge of optimization and energy management strategy for BAS system.
- Strong ability to adhere and to properly execute processes and practices relating to facility operations and maintenance
- Current knowledge of fire, life, safety and building codes and standards and ability to research and apply related codes and standards, is desirable.
- Possesses a strong environmental, health and safety mindset. Ability to perform work in a safe manner.
- Strong client-service orientation along with a high sense of urgency.
- Effective communication skills for the purpose of data relay, exchange, feedback, and clarification.
- Mentoring skills required to support lower level technician’s development.
- Must be willing to wear Personal Protective Equipment.
- Must be available for on-call/standby and emergency callouts as they arise. Extended hours may be required.
- Bilingualism considered an asset.
- Valid drivers’ license.
License and/or Professional Accreditations
- None required
At BGIS we believe that diversity and inclusion is a key business driver, such that we never lose sight of its importance as it is woven into the fabric of our organization. We are committed to maintaining a barrier-free recruitment process by providing equal employment opportunities through recruiting and retention of individuals of all backgrounds. We recognize that promoting diversity is an essential component of our continuing pursuit for organizational success!