Brand Marketing and Communications Officer
City : Waterloo, ON
Category : Temporary
Industry : Education
Employer : University of Waterloo
Term: 3 years.
The Brand Marketing & Communications Officer is accountable to the Sr. Communications and Marketing Manager and provides strategic oversight that supports Velocity’s marketing and communications. The incumbent is accountable for planning, creating, coordinating, evaluating and reporting on integrated marketing communications plans that reinforce Velocity and the University's strategic plans. This role is also responsible for overseeing brand management and collaborating with Velocity and campus partners.
In performing these functions, the incumbent will play an important role in creating an encompassing approach towards student entrepreneurship and founder success. Velocity plays an integral role in advancing an innovative mindset and entrepreneurship at Waterloo and the success of Velocity is key to achieving the University’s priorities.
Strategic marketing and communications plans and programs
- Develops, analyzes and reviews marketing and communications plans using success metrics that can be clearly identified and measured
- Creates and directs communications across multiple channels to enhance the brand, profile and reputation of Velocity with a focus on Campus
- Develops and supports key Velocity messages for marketing and communication materials in all media formats: print, web and social media
- Leads staff, departmental colleagues and on-campus partners in executing plans, and provides metrics to illustrate their effectiveness
- Designs and develops creative content to engage Velocity audiences
- Plans, develops and executes projects to drive Velocity marketing campaigns including timelines and budgets then gathering the necessary resources.
- Utilize participation data collected from events to help define communications strategies
- Supports brand awareness and develops key messaging and collateral as well as participates in University of Waterloo recruitment initiatives, Velocity events and external ecosystem events
Collaborate and Consult
- Builds and nurtures relationships within the Office of Research and provides expertise, support and resources for all marketing and communications initiatives
- Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with key Velocity partners to help communicate Velocity’s message and its contribution to the University’s mission
- Proactively coordinates regular meetings with partners, clubs, groups and centres to create awareness
- Works closely with peers to create an integrated and consolidated marketing approach
- Participates in all University of Waterloo recruitment initiatives and events
Maintain a positive department reputation
- Ensures superior communications that supports the reputation of Velocity Campus and aligns with campus and departmental priorities
- Advances the department’s overall image and reputation using a variety of media, including the website and social and print media
- Creates and oversees new tools to help with brand consistency and streamline marketing processes across the department
- Recommends enhanced communications and marketing strategies, while keeping current with best practices and trends
Develop engaging and relevant marketing materials
- Understands and applies competitive positioning to stay on the leading edge of engaging entrepreneurial students both internal and external to the university
- Enhances strategies by maintaining a clear understanding of the generational characteristics of students and founders and their needs at different stages and cycle of the applicant funnel
- Produces creative marketing collateral, campaigns and messaging to grow the Velocity brand
- Develops and supports new target groups working with campus partners, to develop plans best suited for their audiences
- Provides strategic oversight of ongoing dialogue with students that seeks input, advice and ideas to assist our team with growing the demand for entrepreneurial programming
- Assess and develops marketing materials to keep Velocity Campus engaging, current and relevant, while reflecting Velocity’s goals
Support the performance and development of the Velocity Brand Platform
- Manages the Velocity brand Velocity and helps develop plans to maintain and build brand equity
- Oversee brand use and execution at events
- Assesses brand performance and reputation and provide feedback on a regular basis
- Sets employees up for success by providing feedback and support so they are best able to reach their annual goals, objectives and full potential
- Maintain brand guideline and key messaging documents for Velocity
- Develop, design and maintain the brand media guide in collaboration with the Velocity Marketing and Communications team
- University degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a brand management, marketing and/or communications role is required, preferably in an educational or entrepreneurial setting
- Proven experience in identifying target audiences and in creatively devising and leading across channels marketing campaigns that engage, educate and motivate
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels
- Extensive experience in managing projects and marketing campaigns
- Proven experience in the creation of engaging content
- Familiarity with the latest trends and best practices in online marketing, technologies and methodologies in graphic design, web design, production, etc.
- Proficient in social media marketing creation: Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, twitter, tiktok, snapchat, discord
- Website management (i.e. strong knowledge of web content management systems (WCMS), Wordpress, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing skills (i.e. blogging and press release)
- Ability to use design and layout programs such as Canva, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc. To generate creative content and graphics
- Strong problem-solving ability including metrics driven thinking
- Knowledge of analytics tools (i.e. Google analytics, Web trends, Meltwater etc.) to generate marketing data
- Ability to travel as necessary (minimal)
- The role involves, commitment to sometimes participate in evening and/or weekend events
The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is co-ordinated within our Office of Indigenous Relations.
The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuk (Inuit), Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 519-888-4567, ext. 45935.