Blue Planet Product Line Management Leader
City : Remote-Canada
Category : Product Line Management
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Responsible for end-to-end lifecycle management of Blue Planet’s Software & Service portfolio product lines. Orchestrate cross-functional activities and communications to ensure “reliable delivery of the right service products at the right time in the right quantities”, while meeting or exceeding operating and financial goals and objectives. The candidate will be instrumental in advancing Blue Planet’s position in the market, while maintaining best in class software and services with compelling, differentiated advantages and value propositions, while enabling collaborative & innovative solutions. The successful candidate is a strong inspirational leader who communicates clearly and knows how to drive performance, with a passion for the business and desire to deliver excellence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Drive Blue Planet’s portfolio evolution to ensure it is proactively addressing diverse and changing industry consumption models.
Drive lifecycle management of Software and Service portfolio products from product/feature concept, strategy development, planning, pre-and-post launch through retirement.
Establish, track and report consistent and persistent strategic and operating objectives and metrics including product line P&L throughout product/solution lifecycle (from pro-forma business case assumptions through ultimate retirement).
Orchestrate cross-functional actions and communications throughout portfolio product lifecycle, including but not limited to sales (e.g., requirements analysis, forecasting, customer engagements), engineering/development (e.g., product requirements definition, planning and roadmap management/communications), manufacturing (e.g., inventory & production planning), finance (e.g., budgeting and reporting), sales & marketing (product release/roll-out, pre-sales support, sales and marketing collateral, promotions, product evangelism).
Lead a team of 7-10 individuals to orchestrate decisions and communications across multiple functions, with Ciena corporate and other divisions as necessary, to:
Portfolio Strategy and Development
- Establish and deliver the Software and Services portfolio roadmap. Manage investment of app and drive priorities for market share and revenue growth.
- Systematically analyze customer needs, product requirements and associated market/business opportunities for Ciena’s product lines.
- Define and clearly articulate product strategies and associated value propositions. Translate product strategies into actionable product development requirements and associated release plans
- Lead the development of the services roadmap the utilizing the service introduction process.
- Drive cross functional team consisting of Sales, Marketing, CTO, and R&D to establish a portfolio strategy for accelerated growth in the market by systematically analyzing customer needs, product requirements and associated market opportunities.
- Working with finance, establish business cases for future portfolio investments to underpin the portfolio strategy that clearly define the financial, operational and strategic assumptions and objectives
- Understand technology services industry research and trends and align portfolio strategy to leverage emerging opportunities.
- Establish the 3-5 year Services Strategic Plan to evolve and profitably grow the Software and Services business.
- Ensure services strategy alignment and service product co-creation with Blue Planet’s product portfolio through regular collaboration with the product PLM organization
- Evaluate and prioritize product initiatives and associated development plans with regard to corporate and divisional strategic and operating goals and objectives.
- Own the development of our Blue Planet Software asset roadmap.
- Own and evolve the New Services Introduction process on behalf of Ciena Services
- Own the global pricing and profitability strategy for the Services portfolio.
Go To Market
- Develop and implement sales enablement programs to support the positioning of software services in the marketplace
- Communicate and coordinate across functions and divisions throughout the service product development pipeline to ensure timely release of divisional products and enhancements, and synchronous release as warranted with corporate/cross-divisional development efforts
- Lead the communications and coordination to ensure service products and solutions are introduced to the market via direct and other channels as warranted with maximum chance of success.
- Work with account teams and services sales to identify services upside and development strategy for key accounts
- Perform competitive benchmarking of Ciena’s software and services business to understand portfolio performance, market price points, and the portfolio’s relative strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Ongoing assessment of the software and services product line market performance, intervening as warranted to ensure achievement of objectives and market leadership position.
- Seasoned technical and business experience in technology services and packet-optical networking industries, including markets, customers, products, technologies, and network solutions.
- Leadership experience for lifecycle management of complex products and solutions from concept through retirement with r focus on strategic goals and objectives.
- Strong program and project management skills orchestrating efforts across multiple functional disciplines overseeing all elements of product line P & L drivers.
- Seasoned interpersonal skills with a proven ability to achieve results through alignment of cross-functional and multi-divisional activities in a highly collaborative, team-oriented, and fast-paced environment.
- Proven Marketing experience in defining and executing effective strategies encompassing product, pricing, positioning, and promotion disciplines.
- Extraordinary communications and presentation skills
- Mature, seasoned leadership abilities. Experience building and developing high performing diverse teams while fostering a highly productive and rewarding inclusive work environment.
- Designing and implementing world-class processes and practices, rather than simply overseeing established procedures.
- Demonstrable success in lifecycle management of complex networking products and solutions.
- Ability to manage and expand relationships and have range to operate at both strategic and tactical levels.
- Results oriented, Collaborator, Accountable and Decisive leader
- Strong leadership profile coupled with outstanding verbal and written communications.
- Personality that is collaborative, passionate, and customer focused. Leader with integrity.
EDUCATION and/or RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering preferred (with telecommunications, networking or communications systems concentration) – or equivalent experience.
- MBA (with concentration or extensive course work in Marketing, Financial Management/Operations, or Strategic Management/Planning) highly desirable – or equivalent experience.
- Relevant industry / product line management experience with successful and progressive track record of accomplishment, leadership and increasing responsibility
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.