Back-end Software Engineer, Operations (Java)
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
About the role:
The e-Business team in Application Operations Support (AOS) provides operations and support services to ensure reliability of IT applications. Through innovation, continuous improvement, and collaboration, we strive to find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life.
We are looking for a highly motivated Software Engineer with at least 3 years of Java application support, analysis, and development experience. The successful candidate will have strong technical and problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently. This unique opportunity offers a chance to collaborate on a new e-Business initiative.
What you will do?
- Provide ongoing support of Java based applications in Production and test environments including responding to Service requests, Incident & Problem analysis, Service restoration and recovery, Security vulnerability remediation, Audits and reporting as necessary
- Participate in design, develop, test and debug programs for Java services. Deployment is done using Kubernetes containers
- Interface with other Software Engineers, Business Systems Analysts, and other stakeholders to deliver high quality solutions and maintain a stable application environment
- Enable stability through proactive monitoring activities, security compliance, change management, troubleshooting issues and conducting root-cause analysis
- Identify and participate in continuous improvement opportunities, system renewal, stability, upgrade, and Disaster Recovery projects
What do you need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent discipline
- 3+ years of information technology experience in Java application support and development
- 3+ years experience in:
- Java Enterprise Edition (J2EE) technologies such as Servlet, JDBC and JSP
- Spring framework
- ReactJS/ React.js
- Understanding of enterprise methodologies, such as ITIL, CMMI, and Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Continuous learning mindset
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with changing priorities
- Strong analysis, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have/Learn on the job:
- Web services and frameworks such as SOAP, REST API, Java APIs, JSON, SpringBoot
- Database technologies like SQL, Oracle, POSTGRES
- DevOps tools - Jenkins, Artifactory, Bitbucket/Git, Gradle, Maven, CDD, Ansible
- Container technologies – Kubernetes, Docker
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
- Exposure to Agile framework (Kanban, Scrum)
- Experience working with cloud hosted applications / servers on AWS
- Exposure to team collaboration tools like Confluence, JIRA, MS Teams
- Experience with Kafka
- Knowledge of Middleware technologies such as WebSphere/WebLogic
- The role includes on-call and after hours support on a team rotation basis
- This role requires Canadian Enhanced Reliability Security clearance [a minimum of 5 years of consecutive residency in Canada].
What’s in it for you:
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® award for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork
- 2022 Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor - 2021
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work
- 2021 Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:58,700/58 700 - 93,900/93 900
Job Category:IT - Application Development
Posting End Date:29/11/2022