Audit Senior Manager, US AML Audit
City : New York City, NY, US, 10281
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 172185
Salary Range: 106,400.00 - 203,600.00
Please note that the Salary Range shown is a guideline only. Salary offered may vary based on factors, including, but not limited to, the successful candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Scotiabank is currently seeking an Audit Senior Manager, US AML Audit to join our growing team! The Audit Department is the 3rd Line of Defense and plays a key role in the internal control system of the Bank. Its mandate is to provide independent and objective assurance over the design and effectiveness of internal controls to mitigate risks and to provide advisory services designed to improve the Bank's operations.
The Senior Manager will be working directly with the Director – US Head of AML Audit and be responsible for leading and executing AML and Sanctions audits. The Senior Manager will act primarily as Officer-in-Charge (OIC) on AML and Sanctions audits to assess the design and operational effectiveness of internal controls, adherence to regulatory requirements and Bank policies, and the efficiency and effectiveness of operations of the AML/Sanctions Compliance function. The Senior Manager will be responsible for managing the planning, execution, and reporting of assigned audits in accordance with department standards. In addition, the Senior Manager will support the Director in determining the overall audit plan and strategy over the AML/Sanctions Compliance function in the U.S. If you are interested in joining and passionate and dynamic team, apply today!
Is this role right for you? You will be responsible for:
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Act primarily as Officer in Charge (OIC) for assigned projects, processes and units. May act as Audit Principal in some low to medium complexity assignments.
- Ensure Scotiabank standards and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Code of Ethics are maintained in completion of all assignments.
- Assists in the development and execution of a comprehensive and strategic audit plan. Ensures auditable entities remain within cycle and conducts ongoing monitoring activities to stay abreast of changes (business/industry/regulatory) / emerging risks / themes or systemic issues that may impact the risk assessment of the audit universe and the audit plan. May also execute assigned audit activities independently as a team member under the direction of the OIC on assignments.
- Lead the execution, planning, and reporting on the assigned audit projects. Obtains a thorough understanding of the business/unit/process and associated risks, develops a risk based audit plan/procedures, and schedules timing and resources.
- Manages and supervises end- to- end process of the execution of the audit, and ensures nature and extent of testing is appropriate to support the objective, scope and overall opinion. Completes timely review of workpapers, ensures internal control weaknesses are clearly documented with recommendations addressing the root cause and are communicated timely to management.
- Ensures audit results are gathered, determine the root cause of the problem and the associated impact and report accordingly. Confirm the audit results with the auditee. Present an overview of the audit results and findings to line management. Follow-up for corrective action/progress against any reported issues. Escalate where necessary.
- Identify systemic and emerging issues and strategic changes planned/undertaken by the auditees that will impact the audit plan, including review of business/strategic plans, review and update the Risk Assessment database for entities assigned, attend periodic meetings with key management officers to understand changes and new business initiatives and review key performance indicators;
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the business, risks and processes for assigned areas and provide effective guidance to the audit teams;
- Manage appropriately the prioritization of testing activities using a risk-based approach to ensure scope and extent of work is in accordance with the approved plan, timing and budget are reasonable, appropriate resources are assigned, risks are understood and the nature and extend of testing is adequate to support the audit findings and conclusions;
- Ensure internal control weaknesses are identified; errors are quantified as applicable, associated impact is defined, documented and reported, the identified issues are clearly understood and the appropriate actions are taken by management.
- Ensure audit reports are written to a consistent high standard of quality and are finalized / released within established metrics;
- Carry out specific projects or investigations of a moderate or high complexity and/or confidential nature. Plan, document and seek agreement in advance to the project approach and confirm conclusions upon completion in writing.
- Manage self-development by confirming/communicating job expectations, identifying mentors/coaches and enquiring about training needs, ensuring timely completion of performance appraisals, recruiting, interviewing and selecting candidates, manages assigned staff.
- Ensure audit findings are adequately documented in the Audit Issues Tracking Database.
- Ensure Teammate working paper files are reviewed timely and the audit work is documented according to the established standards
- Maintain effective communication with stakeholders including appropriate handling of conflicts and issue resolution.
- Coordinate work performed on behalf of the external auditors as assigned.
- Prepare applicable sections of the quarterly report to the Audit Committee.
- Manage the development of staff by providing direction and coaching; impart specialized skills to other audit officers through peer discussions and cooperation on integrated audits;
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Do you have the skills you need to succeed? We'd love to work with you, if you have:
- 8+ years in AML/Sanctions Compliance, Audit, consulting, or Regulatory body;
- Expert knowledge of AML and Sanctions laws, regulations, guidance, and regulatory expectations (CAMS preferable);
- Knowledge of auditing concepts and techniques;
- Well-developed judgment, management, decision-making and problem-solving skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Expert time management skills with the ability to take on multiple projects at one time;
- Excellent work paper documentation skills (i.e., thorough/detail-oriented);
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Highly proficient in the use of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Location(s): United States : New York : New York City
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.