Audit Manager, Enterprise Functions (Legal & Governance)
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Accountant and Auditor
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 175680
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Contributes to the overall success of the Enterprise Functions Audit (EFA) Group. EFA is responsible for assessing the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls, governance and risk management processes across various control and support functions globally including: Global Risk Management – (Enterprise Risk, Operational Risk, Third Party Risk Management); Global Finance; Global Human Resources; Governance; Corporate Security; Legal and Communications; Risk Culture and Environmental, Social & Governance.
The Audit Manager ensures specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Contributes to planning, execution, and reporting on the assigned audit projects covering Governance, Legal, Corporate Security and Communications, among other non-financial risk areas.
- Contributes to ongoing monitoring activities to stay current of changes in business, industry, regulatory, emerging risks, themes or systemic issues that may impact the risk assessment of the audit universe and the audit plan.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Contributes to the planning, execution and reporting of assigned audit projects while ensuring department standards are maintained. Obtains a thorough understanding of the business/unit/process and associated risks to contribute to the development of a risk based audit plan/procedures. Contributes to the execution of the audit, and ensures nature and extent of testing is appropriate to support the objective, scope and overall opinion. Completes timely documentation of working papers, ensures audit findings and internal control weaknesses are clearly documented with recommendations addressing the root cause and are communicated timely to management. Ensures audit reports are written to a consistent high standard and are finalized within established department metrics.
- Contributes to building and supporting of the subject matter expertise for audits of Legal and Corporate Affairs (LCA) (including Governance, Corporate Security and Communications) by ensuring appropriate audit coverage globally, establishing standard audit procedures, providing advice & counsel on planning memos, audit issues and reports. Identifying and reporting on systemic issues/themes.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Manage self-development by confirming/communicating job expectations, identifying mentors/coaches and enquiring about training needs, ensuring timely completion of performance appraisals.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Education / Experience / Other Information
- University degree in business, finance, economics, accountancy or similar area required.
- Professional accounting designation (e.g., CPA, CA) / technical / professional qualifications (CFA, CIA, CIM, etc.) preferred.
- Relevant experience (3-4 years) in audit (Internal or External); ideally with financial institutions.
- Knowledge of the financial sector including perspective on the regulatory and competitive landscape.
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills with an ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Experience in design, development or monitoring of risk and controls (including Governance) is preferred.
- Works effectively independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in an environment of ambiguity and change.
- Experience using data analytics and visualization tools would be an asset.
- Fluency (writing and speaking) in Spanish would be an asset.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.