Associate Software Engineer
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5J1A7
Category : Computer Software Engineer
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 183890
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Associate Cloud Engineer
Scotiabank has embarked on the journey to modernize both development practices and tools. One of the main areas of transformation is the public cloud and the various platform technologies that support both development and operations on the cloud. The aim is to provide a streamlined process and framework which will allow the development teams to focus on building business logic. The platform is used by development teams globally to host hundreds of applications. We are looking to build our development team with influencer, makers, creators and industry leaders who will drive us forward.
The role of the Software Engineer operates within the Cloud Platform Engineering team. This valuable member of the team will be responsible for creating platform components and services for the broader enterprise use.
Is this role right for you?
- Key accountabilities include development and maintenance of applications to enable safe enterprise-wide use of the cloud platform.
- Level 3 support responsibilities are required.
- Designing, implementing, and refactoring code.
- Participating in design discussions focused on scalability and design and implementation best practices.
- Ensuring software, programs and applications are developed and/or configured to meet high availability, integrity, and reliability requirements.
- Working with other engineers and architects on breaking-down, scoping and estimating tasks.
- Participating in planning and retrospective sessions, attending stand-ups, etc.
- Build and operate the highly available and scalable software and infrastructure.
- Writing and maintaining related documentation.
- Supporting application teams on the use of the platform including providing guidance on design patterns, best practices, and security considerations.
- Our teams are flexible and fast – you will be asked to provide peer review and quality control daily.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- Enthusiasm for working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Enthusiasm for continuous learning and sharing knowledge.
- Enthusiasm for solving complex yet meaningful problems and thinking outside the box while doing so.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn in modern enterprise-grade application framework such as Spring Boot 2+.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn in modern front-end library or framework such as React or Next.js.
- Understanding of software design patterns and software architecture fundamentals.
- Understanding of databases fundamentals (relational and non-relational).
- Understanding of agile software development practices such as scrum.
- Ability to work with ambiguous problems and/or requirements.
- Understanding or experience in DevOps and security considerations (DevSecOps) is a plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes or containerized applications technologies is a plus.
- Experience working with popular cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform is a plus.
- Experience within Canadian financial institutions is a plus.
What's in it for you?
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Allyship - We strive to create an inclusive culture where every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are, and are embraced through bias-free practices and inclusive values across Scotiabank. We embrace diversity and provide opportunities for all employee to learn, grow & participate through our various Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that span across diverse gender identities, ethnicity, race, age, ability & veterans.
- Accessibility and Workplace Accommodations - We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Scotiabank continues to locate, remove and prevent barriers so that we can build a diverse and inclusive environment while meeting accessibility requirements.
- Remote-friendly work environment will provide you with the flexibility to perform at your best.
- Upskilling through online courses, cross-functional development opportunities, and tuition assistance.
- Competitive Rewards program including bonus, flexible vacation, personal, sick days and benefits will start on day one.
- Dynamic Office - Fully equipped gym, showers, games room, bowling alley, micro market, free tea & coffee, universal washrooms, wellness rooms, and lots of space for team collaboration.
- Community Engagement - no matter where you choose to work from; we offer opportunities for community engagement & belonging with our various programs such as hackathons, contests, cooking with friends, Humans of Digital and much more!
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.