Associate Portfolio Manager, Fixed Income, 1832 Asset Management
City : Toronto, ON, CA, H3B4G7
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 178079
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Associate Portfolio Manager, Fixed Income
The Specialized Credit Team at 1832 Asset Management L.P. is seeking an Assistant Portfolio Manager to join our team and support our actively managed credit-focused strategies primarily focused on U.S. and Canadian markets. The Assistant Portfolio Manager will provide in-depth fundamental analysis of corporate issuers across the credit universe, recommend investment ideas, support portfolio construction activities, and monitor ongoing risks and portfolio performance to support informed investment decisions.
The Specialized Credit Team at 1832 Asset Management L.P., is responsible for over $6 billion in actively managed fixed income mandates invested across the credit spectrum including high yield, investment grade, loans, preferred shares, and hybrid securities. The Team deploys a bottom-up and top-down approach to identify securities that offer superior risk-adjusted returns across a diverse suite of mandates including Mutual Funds, ETFs, Hedge Funds, and Liquid Alternatives servicing retail and institutional investors.
As an Associate Portfolio Manager , you will be responsible for the following:
- Perform fundamental credit analysis on corporate issuers across multiple sectors to support and prepare detailed investment recommendations. This will include (but is not limited to):
- In-depth research on issuer and industry specific factors that will affect forward-looking credit performance.
- Management of complex financial models derived from corporate reports, sell-side research, and internally generated assumptions and inputs.
- Regular meetings with management teams, research analysts, corporate bankers, and rating agencies to inform and develop investment views.
- Evaluation of corporate structures including debt covenants and structural subordination risks.
- Ongoing monitoring of key drivers of credit and sectoral performance to identify potential risks and opportunities.
- Supporting portfolio construction decision making activities to maximize risk-adjusted returns. This will include (but is not limited to):
- Monitor a universe of potential investments against current holdings to evaluate relative value opportunities. This will include evaluating the relative attractiveness of investments throughout capital structures and asset classes (corporate debt, hybrids, preferred shares, credit default swaps, and equities).
- Evaluate and assist with the optimization of portfolios evaluated against benchmarks and those focused on generating absolute returns.
- Monitor and recommend portfolio weights against investment objectives including ratings exposure, sector weights, and overall market exposure.
- Develop and share overall market valuation views supported by both macro-economic factors and technical drivers.
- Develop relationships with sell-side coverage and traders to support efficient execution of portfolio transactions, identify potential investment opportunities, and to develop ongoing market colour.
- Analysis of performance attribution reports.
- Assist in the preparation of investment proposals and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures, as well as regulatory requirements.
- Coach and develop the investment capabilities of junior team members.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? – We’d love to work with you if you have:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce, or related field.
- CFA/CPA/MBA or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in portfolio management, credit, investment analysis, or a related discipline with the ability to formulate and implement investment strategies that contribute to portfolio objectives.
- Registered, or the ability to be registered, as an Assistant Portfolio Manager.
- Self-motivated and results driven with a proven ability to work effectively as part of an investment team.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills.
- Functional capability with financial analysis software including Excel and Bloomberg.
- Willingness to trave as required.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.