Associate, Financials Public Equities
City : Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full time
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
Why you’ll love working here:
high-performance, people-focused culture
our commitment that equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees, including coverage supporting our team's diversity and mental health (e.g., gender affirmation, fertility and drug treatment, psychological support benefits of $2,500 per year, and newly extended maternity/parental leave top of 26 weeks)
optional post-retirement health and dental benefits subsidized at 50%
yoga classes, meditation workshops, nutritional consultations, and wellness seminars
access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent and temporary employees
the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
The Public Equity Team
The Public Equity team has two major roles at HOOPP. We provide independent, robust research on Public Equity markets and on specific companies, and we use this research to generate returns in our own portfolios and by collaborating with other investment teams at HOOPP. Our portfolio strategies are evolving to reflect both the rapidly changing nature of capital markets and the risk and return needs of the Fund. The team’s culture is focused on achieving results and encouraging growth.
Equity, diversity & inclusion
Fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace is core to HOOPP’s culture and our Public Equity team. One of the ways this is demonstrated is through our Employee Resource Groups which are led by employees, for employees, and have executive sponsors that champion their important work. These groups help us connect, support, and learn from employees with shared interests and life experiences, toward fostering an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
The Public Equity team is also committed to ensuring inclusive hiring practices because we believe a diverse group of individuals is more likely to make a team that can find innovative investment ideas and manage investment risks effectively. We value and encourage both visible and invisible elements of diversity including diversity in experience, ideas, thoughts, qualifications, beliefs, and attributes.
Associate, Public Equities
As a member of the Public Equities team, the Associate will support the fundamental coverage of the Financials (banks and non-banks) sector in Canada and the U.S. The Associate will support specific portfolios managed by the team and over time play a key role in supporting multiple projects with several team members. Working in a fast-paced environment, the Associate will leverage their analytical research experience and outstanding communication skills to produce reports and analysis to be used by the Public Equities team to make investment decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and analyze assigned industries and companies.
- Prepare and write detailed long and short investment recommendations outlining key elements of the investment thesis along with the relevant merits and risks.
- Monitor new industry trends and assess their impact on portfolio positions.
- Build, develop and maintain financial models and associated documentation.
- Prepare other research reports and undertake additional analysis and projects.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 3 years of relevant industry analysis experience; credit experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative analytical skills including financial modeling.
- Strong organization skills with ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Clear, precise, and succinct communication skills
- Intelligent and creative thinker
- Enthusiasm and passion for equity investing.
- Completion of University degree in Commerce or Finance or if your degree is in a different field, an explanation of how your academic background is relevant to this job.
- CFA level 1 or higher is an asset.
- Coding, Math, Data or ML/AI skills are an asset
NOTE: Please include a cover letter (max of 3 pages ) which succinctly covers:
- How your educational and professional background aligns with our job posting
- Why you are interested in equity investing.
- Summarize your experience analyzing and modeling publicly traded banks and non-bank financials, including years of coverage, specific sectors of focus, types of analysis performed, and client groups served.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement, and why: most banks exist in a highly competitive industry dynamic and are unable to sustainably differentiate their offerings.
- What is one financial services stock you think is a good investment with a 12-24 month time frame right now? Why?