Associate Director, Student Experience
City : Guelph
Category : Other
Industry : Education and Research
Employer : University of Guelph
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Associate Director, Student Experience
Hiring #: 2023-0273
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The department of Student Experience is committed to supporting all students at the University of Guelph. Student Experience houses many specialized supports for students identifying as First Nations, Inuit, Métis, Black, racialized, people of colour, and/or members of the LGBTQ2IA+ community, and members of cultural, international, religious, and spiritual communities. We welcome applicants sharing through their application the ways in which they believe they can contribute to the diversity of thought, approach, and practice in supporting students within the department Student Experience.
In Student Experience we cultivate dynamic environments outside the classroom for all students in which they can learn, build community, develop a sense of belonging, explore lived experiences and intersecting identities, deepen their understanding of themselves and each other, and engage in meaningful dialogue. These environments are created to support students as they work to achieve their goals while navigating experiences of change, transition, development, and learning from the time before they arrive on campus to the time they leave.
Reporting to the Director, the Associate Director, Student Experience, supports the development and management of the department’s strategic direction and operations across 8 units; creates and implements a department learning and development plan, and plays an instrumental role in leading the department's approach to coaching, supervision, and goal setting.
The incumbent will provide direct leadership across 4 units within the department: Cultural Diversity Services, Multi-Faith Programs, Neighbourhood Relations and Off-Campus Living, and Sexual and Gender Diversity. This oversight and direction includes supervising, supporting, coaching, motivating, and mentoring staff through their work as they provide direct service to students and support to their teams of student staff and Peer Helpers. They will also demonstrate leadership related to the needs of students in these areas through identification of issues, developing strategies, day to day operations, policy and advocacy as required.
As a member of the Student Experience leadership team, the incumbent contributes to the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of the department, represents the department and/or Director on University and external committees, contributes toward policy formulation and implementation, writes funding proposals and funding reports, participates in the development and implementation of actions plans, annual budgeting, forecasting processes across the department, and provides leadership and strategy for services that facilitate a positive student experience through effective transition, retention, engagement, and student success.
To be successful in this role the incumbent is required to have:
- A Master’s Degree coupled with 5 years progressive experience in management and leadership roles, with experience managing multiple teams
- Proven leadership and administrative responsibility to direct teams, foster staff motivation, and manage employee performance
- Management experience providing student transition and engagement services would be an asset
- Demonstrated human relations and advising skills, including the ability to empathize and communicate effectively
- Knowledge of and experience working with diverse communities and within anti-oppressive frameworks
- Understanding of the complexity of student identity, intersectionality, and education experiences that is informed by both lived experience and practical experience
- Previous experience in supporting and advocating on behalf of individuals working through all forms of racism, discrimination, oppression, white supremacy, colonialism, and mental health challenges
- Knowledge and expertise in moving Indigenization, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (IEDI) theory to practice
- Proven ability to exercise a high level of judgement, diplomacy, and tact
- An ability to collaborate and lead amongst stakeholders and partners
- Proven ability to assess needs and to research, design, implement, and evaluate programs and services
- Strong understanding of managing complex budgetary needs, including mandatory reporting for government and for senior administration
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize large volumes of data, particularly with regards to emerging trends, challenges, and leading research, and summarize the analysis in concise reports.
The University of Guelph seeks qualified individuals for the role of Associate Director, Student Experience, Student Affairs, who identify as persons of Black African or Caribbean descent. Applicants will be asked to self-identify through the Applicant Tracking Questionnaire (ATQ) facilitated by Diversity and Human Rights.
This professional staff position is part of the University of Guelph’s Black and Indigenous Hiring Initiative. Launched in June 2022, the Black and Indigenous Hiring Initiative (BIHI) calls for hiring fifteen or more Black and Indigenous faculty and four or more Black and Indigenous professional staff across the University of Guelph during the next three years. The faculty and staff positions will be filled in areas that support the advancement of Black and Indigenous academic excellence and the University of Guelph’s commitments to inclusion, anti-racism, indigenization, and decolonization.
Position Number 530-035
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 05 17
Closing Date: 2023 05 31