Assistant Site Superintendent (Midrise)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Site
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Construction Office – Ottawa Division
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
The Assistant Superintendent assists the Superintendent to oversee the timely construction of our multi-family residential buildings from excavation to warranty service request signoff while keeping to the budget. This role plays an integral role in ensuring zero defect suites through effective management of trades, inspectors, suppliers and staff, while upholding the Mattamy Way.
What you’ll do
- Ensures complete adherence to Mattamy Construction Processes, in accordance with Policy and Procedures.
- Assists in monitoring & supervising on-site construction staff and daily trade functions promoting and maximizing timeliness, quality of workmanship and completion of work. Facilitates regular meetings and/or tool box talks with staff and trades to communicate production and safety requirements.
- Conducts site walkthroughs to ensure deficiencies are noted, Building Code is adhered to, and the purchasers Design Options and Extras are complied with.
- Adheres to procedures as required by the trade Scopes of Work and Mattamy Quality Standards communicates corrective action required to Superintendent
- Is proactive and actively assists in problem solving when job site or construction issues occur (falling behind schedule, quality of work, etc.) while complying with policy, plans and specification.
- Assists with managing the Production Schedule and maintains production targets and dates. Reinforces the importance of schedule adherence (and assists where trade availability is causing difficulty), unwavering focus on Mattamy mission, and safety and quality standards.
- Schedules, facilitates and/or attends necessary municipal inspections. Assists Inspectors and Superintendent with the completion of the review, and rectifies issues as required.
- Ensures all work is being done in a safe manner and enforces safety standards and laws within positions scope of authority. Implements corrective action when necessary.
- Assists with the management of maintenance of job site ensuring it is clean and aesthetically appealing while under construction.
- Carry out additional tasks as assigned.
What you bring
- 5 years of overall construction experience with a minimum of 3+ years of site supervision.
- Previous experience in multi-family (midrise) residential construction preferred.
- Knowledge of Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other health and safety regulations.
- Knowledge of construction processes.
- Clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials and regulations. Includes knowledge of all trades, staff responsibilities, scheduling and scopes of work.
- Strong problem solver
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must be detailed and thorough.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written. Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable for results including communicating issues as they arise.
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts, including trade partners and suppliers and a strong customer focus.
- Valid Class G driver’s license with the ability to travel as required to various job sites.
- Post-secondary education in a related field (e.g. Construction Engineering Technology, Architecture) or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of MS Office software, including MS Project
- Experience and knowledge of BuildPro/SupplyPro
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.