Assistant General Counsel & Assistant Secretary
City : TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Category : Audit | Compliance | Legal | Risk
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
What is the opportunity?
The RBC Law Group is looking to staff a permanent role for an Assistant General Counsel reporting to Senior Vice-President, AGC & Secretary. The role, located in Toronto, is an excellent opportunity for an experienced securities lawyer seeking to work directly with senior management, other functional and business partners and the Board of Directors on financial reporting and corporate treasury initiatives and a variety of securities law matters impacting RBC.
What will you do?
- You will lead the team of lawyers providing key legal advice to the enterprise in fulfilling its obligations as a public issuer.
- Advise on RBC’s continuous disclosure obligations in compliance with Canadian and US securities laws, including supporting Finance, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications on the quarterly and annual financial reporting process.
- Supports Corporate Treasury in connection with RBC’s global capital and debt issuance programs, including the Bank’s U.S., European and Japanese programs.
- Advise on a broad range of corporate governance and securities law matters to support the RBC Board of Directors’ Audit Committee and the RBC Disclosure Committee and act as an important strategic advisor to these Committees in establishing, implementing and maintaining robust and effective corporate governance practices.
What do you need to succeed?
- Bachelor of Law from an accredited law school and qualified to practice law in a Canadian jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 12 to 15 years of securities law experience gained in private practice or in-house roles, with an emphasis on disclosure, governance, securities issuance programs and securities law matters more generally.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with teams that are diverse and multi-disciplinary.
- Strategic and practical thinker with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities, make independent decisions, work under tight deadlines in a fast paced environment and exercise sound judgment.
- Self-starter with the ability to take ownership of key projects and work collaboratively with key stakeholders and external service providers, regulators and industry groups.
- In-house experience at a financial institution
- Background or undergraduate degree in finance or accounting
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Flexible work/life balance options
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.