Assistant Foundation Builder
City : Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Site
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Senior Foundation Builder
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
As the Assistant Foundation Builder, you will oversee the timely construction of foundations, with overall responsibility for accuracy and quality of construction in the foundation stage all to provide The Best Homeowner Experience. During the construction process, you are responsible for grading and sodding and attending to various site components such as exterior drains and water services (including water boxes). You will also manage activities of contractors, suppliers, inspectors, and other participants in each home’s foundation, grading and sodding program and supervise the exterior labour force including maintaining an aesthetically appealing and safe worksite, including lots and roadways.
What you’ll do
- Manages construction of foundations, lot grading and sodding for assigned homes on a timely basis, in compliance with the Production Schedule, building codes, ANHWP standards, Design Centre changes and Mattamy standards.
- Attends regular staff meetings and is prepared to discuss safety, quality, production timelines, costs and other issues as determined by direct supervisor.
- Prepares and supervises Production Schedules for surveyor, excavation, footings, foundation walls and backfills with appropriate trades, inspectors and suppliers.
- Maintains awareness of special or extraordinary soil conditions, for example base conditions or substandard compressive strength of soil, on certain lots and takes appropriate action in the construction of the foundation. Liaises with Land Development Department on unforeseen soil conditions. Measures all claims for extra concrete with contractor prior to backfill.
- Reviews all lot specific / customer changes and implements relevant extras into foundations per company policy and procedures.
- Ensures protection of all catch basins, water boxes and valves, hydrants and utility vaults prior to excavation. Coordinates sewer/water excavation and backfill and ensures proper demarcation of water boxes. Ensure frost protection is in place during winter months.
- Monitors quality of excavation, footings and foundation walls on regular basis and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Coordinates grading of lots with contractors, in accordance with approved grading plan including balance fills on lots (when possible) prior to framing, cutting of driveway, filling garages and rough grading for topsoil.
- Schedules and attends all inspections with municipal inspectors and soil engineers. Assists as appropriate during inspection and rectifies issues as required. Conducts final site inspections with appropriate agencies.
- Coordinates timely installation of curbs and sidewalks prior to sodding & grading program (will require contact with Land, co-developer, or external sub-divider for “purchased lots”). Coordinates and supervises topsoil and sodding of project with special attention given to ensure that all water box valve stems are visible and fully operational once sod is laid.
- Responsible for year-round road cleaning and general lot and site cleanliness.
- Responsible for meeting schedule for paving driveways.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education / college diploma in related field (Construction Management / Construction Engineering Technology) or suitable combination of education and relevant industry experience
- Must be skilled front-line coordinator with excellent organizational skills, thorough scheduling knowledge and ability to streamline schedule issues
- Several years homebuilding experiences, particularly grading
- Excellent customer service skills
- Intensely focused on delivering quality product
- Good knowledge and clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials, and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of Alberta Building Code and Health & Safety Regulations
- Well-developed ability to problem solve and resolve issues as they arise
- Self-starter who leads by example and readily assumes responsibility for results
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to successfully manage multiple tasks, varying priorities and ultimately meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required
- Skills in relationship building with established broad network of contacts including trade partners and suppliers
- Experience with using BuildPro would be an asset
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.