Assistant Director, Projects and Integration (Calgary, AB, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Assistant Director, Projects and Integration
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada. No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in our environment.
Building on the principles that have always guided us – excellence, integrity and respect – we strive to be forward-looking and innovative, to welcome people with diverse perspectives and talents, and to earn trust by living up to our commitments and by clearly explaining the intent of our policies and actions.
With our defined-benefit pension plan, benefits, and high flexibility for work life balance - find out more about why we are annually ranked as one of Canada's top employers: Working Here - Bank of Canada
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
Did you know?
Within Banking and Payments Department (BAP), the Payments and Settlement Operations (PSO) team renders critical banking, payment and settlement and custodial services to the federal government, financial institutions, foreign central banks, internal institutions and designated financial market infrastructures. PSO is composed of the Operations teams which execute day-to-day time sensitive critical operations and the Projects and Integration (P&I) team which provides subject matter expertise and participates in large transformational projects and policy changes while preparing the Operations teams for changes that will impact current and future time-critical operations.
What you will do
As the PSO Assistant Director, Project and Integration (AD), you provide operational expertise and lead the change management function as well as a team of Analysts and Change Management Specialist supporting internal business line change initiatives. You advise internally to the business line and externally to the Bank’s stakeholders to enable the PSO business line absorbing the operational impact of all bank-wide and industry-wide initiatives. You provide leadership, strategical and tactical guidance to a team of approximately ten direct reports who help facilitate the implementation of change initiatives, ensure proper documentation, and training. You are also responsible for the on-boarding and on-going delivery of training for PSO.
You bring critical thinking in all spheres of the business line activities, set priorities, identify roadblocks and solutions to minimize operational risks and ensure business continuity in the complex and changing environment of the ecosystems of securities, trades, and payments. You share responsibility with the Director, Payment and Settlement Operations for PSO leadership mentorship, guidance and oversight, the coordination of day-to-day critical operations, and for the continuous improvement of the business by bringing forth innovative ideas and supporting the continuous transformation initiatives.
In addition you will:
- Provide direct leadership and guidance to Analysts, Change Management Specialists and Project Coordinator
- Provide subject-matter expertise and a critical view of internally/externally driven changes (new or changing operations and systems) impacting business line and ensure these would be operationally efficient while planning for flawless integration into operations.
- Represent the business line at senior levels, on several internal and external working groups and committees.
- Lead the P&I Team in the development of strategies and plans to implement change on operations (timing, change management strategy, communications); align timing of activities and roll-out to ensure resource availability, business preparedness and operational readiness.
- Ensure appropriate materials, training tools and aids are either developed or updated, and that procedures are well documented. Oversees the on-boarding and continuous training of PSO team members.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the domain of risk, policy, compliance, conformity, contingency, quality management, audits, financial systems, and legal.
- Carry out, as required and/or on a temporary basis, some of the responsibilities of the Director, Payments and Settlement Operations. Act as mentor, with the responsibility of providing advice and guidance on addressing technical, business, and human resources management issues
What you need to succeed
You have proven experience in operational areas of banking and/or finance and knowledge of payment, clearing and settlement issues and practices. You are a seasoned leader who provide strategic and critical thinking while being able to manage several conflicting and changing priorities at once. You are analytical, thorough, rigorous and understand our critical operations within the broader picture of our banking and payments ecosystems. You have a strong and operational knowledge of payments, securities and collateral management operations. You are an engaged and curious self-starter who takes initiatives and seek constructive solutions.
You can direct and monitor an operational environment and distill and synthesize business issues to guide others toward effective solutions. Your solid interpersonal, listening and negotiation skills enable you to establish credibility and respect while building and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external partners. As an Assistant director, you have strong and proven leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to create team effectiveness, optimize performance, lead on-going changes, as well as to coach and provide guidance. You can cope with, remain calm and understand a demanding and changing environment with several daily deadlines and operational events.
- Strong knowledge of Financial Market Infrastructures (e.g., SWIFT, ACSS, CDSX, CLS Bank, and LYNX).
- Strong knowledge of trade lifecycles, foreign exchange activities and related settlements
- Understanding of the Bank’s core functions, organization, processes and systems
- PROSCI Change Management Certification Program
- Project Management or Project Leadership Certification
Your education and experience
The position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or public administration and 7 to 10 years of related work experience in mission-critical operational business environment in the fields of banking and/or finance with increasing levels of management responsibilities, including a minimum of five years of work experience managing a team or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of functional (level 4) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of fully functional (level 5) in second official language.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Secret
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
Hybrid Work Model #LI-Hybrid
The Bank offers work arrangements that provide employees with flexibility, enable high-performing teams, and support an excellent workplace culture. Most employees can telework from home for a substantial part of each month as part of the Bank`s hybrid work model, and they are expected on site at the Bank location a minimum of eight days per month to help build connections between colleagues. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $112,390 to $140,490 (job grade 19)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay. The first tier of performance pay is for successfully meeting expectation, at 7 to 10% of your base salary. The Bank offers performance pay for those who exceed expectations (15% of your base salary).. Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service #LI-POS
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.T