Assistant Chief Engineer – Track
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M8Z 2L7
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
*This position will be based in Toronto, ON or Montreal, QC depending on the succesful candidate.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
As the Assistant Chief Engineer - Track, you will ensure safe, reliable infrastructure and cost effective engineering services for all Track assets on the geographic territory to permit the safe and efficient train operation. You will directly provide or ensure professional oversight and compliance with corporate policy and regulatory/engineering standards.
- Provide professional oversight and deliver regulatory compliance for respective geographic territory as required under regulation to ensure safe, compliant infrastructure is maintained;
- Ensure the application of CP safety practices, policies and procedures by all direct reports;
- Deliver specified safety, compliance, service, and financial outputs/results expected within their geographic territory, and implements work process changes that achieve continuous improvement;
- Develop and execute annual safety plans;
- Direct, coordinate, and/or implement emergency response to service interruptions for geographical territory and maintains/executes seasonal plans related to winter, spring/flood, and fire;
- Execute work in a manner consistent with labor agreements;
- Establish/maintain cross functional relationships within their geographic territory and ensures clear cross functional working relationships between all direct reports;
- Accountable for current year execution and provides information/recommendations for annual/multiyear capital planning priorities;
- Coach direct reports to improve their effectiveness, invoke performance improvement plans, assess personal effectiveness and provide development opportunities, and promote individual career development plans for each direct report;
- Accountable for the investigation of train accidents in main track and sidings, including the timely filing of cause;
- Ensure infrastructure damage costs are determined and reported consistent with Transport Canada regulations for all train accidents.
- Must possess an Engineering Degree (Exception for non-university graduates provided sufficient experience and demonstrated performance in railroad engineering);
- 10 years of industrial or construction experience OR 5 years’ experience in the maintenance of railway physical plant and good understanding of track maintenance, track renewal, structures maintenance and signals & communications;
- Good knowledge of accounting principles and financial statements;
- Demonstrated capability to apply relevant knowledge and technical skills to monitor adherence to CP policies and standards as well regulatory requirements;
- Capability to develop and manage a project plan/schedule;
- Ability to simultaneously manage priorities and ensure delivery of key performance metrics during emergency and non-emergency operations;
- Strong people leadership;
- Ability to influence peers, cross functional co-managers and Executive leadership team;
- Ability to work with people, with integrity;
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Driver's License Verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 100885
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Eastern Canada
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 50-60%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 2A
- Job Available to: Internal & External