Assessor MSCB Forestry (Bilingual)
City : Ottawa, ON
Category : See posting
Industry : Government
Employer : Standards Council of Canada
Assessor – Forestry Scheme – Management Systems & Product, Process, and Service Certification Bodies Accreditation
Several positions and a pool of candidates
Reference number: CA-10
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is seeking to hire bilingual assessors to conduct Management Systems Certification Body and Product, Process and Service Certification accreditation assessments – Forestry Scheme on a contractual basis.
Assessors use their expertise in conformity assessment methodologies to assist the assessment team in the evaluation of forestry customers seeking accreditation. They apply their considerable conformity assessment expertise by reviewing customer policies and procedures, reviewing the certification files, conducting interviews with certification body personnel, reviewing personnel records, and evaluating other aspects of forestry operations.
Assessors are responsible for assessing forestry customers against the requirements of ISO ISO/IEC 17021-1:2015 – Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems – Part 1: Requirements and ISO/IEC 17065:2012 Product, Process, and Service Certification Body Accreditation.
They bring their strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills, as well as sound judgement to handle difficult situations raised during the assessment.
• Work closely with the lead assessor to determine the scope and criteria to be assessed
• Review customer’s quality management system, standard operating procedures, procedures, forms, work instructions, and job aids to assess evidence of conformity with relevant criteria
• Review customer’s personnel competency management system, personnel human resources records, and certification body file records to assess evidence of conformity with relevant criteria
• Observe the work of certification body personnel to assess the conformity to procedures and application of relevant criteria via a witness audit
• Gather the objective evidence of conformances and non-conformances during the assessment
• Reports to the lead assessor on findings and provides recommendations based on evidence
Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident/Work visa for the duration of the contract
• Post-secondary education in relevant discipline
• Formal training, if applicable
Language Requirements Bilingual imperative (French and English)
• At least three years of experience working in a certification body setting or at least three years of experience working in an accreditation body setting
• Experience applying conformity assessment methodologies, and analyzing skills in relevant forestry sectors
• Experience auditing certification body processes and procedures via an internal audit or external audit
• Knowledge of certification body business environments
• Knowledge of ISO/IEC 17021-1 and or ISO/IEC 17065
• Knowledge of certification bodies certifying forestry – Management Systems Accreditation Program
• SCC Requirements and Guidance for the Management Systems Accreditation Program: Sustainable Forest Management Sector Schemes
• ATFS-IMG-01:2021 – ATFS Independently Managed Group Certification Requirements
• SFI 2022 – Requirements for the SFI Program: Standards, Rules for Label Use, Procedures and Guidance.
• CAN/CSA-Z809:2016 – Sustainable forest management
• Knowledge of certification bodies operating in the forestry scheme - Product, Process and Service Certification Body Accreditation Program
• PEFC ST 2002:2020 Chain of Custody of Forest and Tree Based Products – Requirements
• PEFC ST 2003:2020 Requirements for Certification Bodies operating Certification against the PEFC International Chain of Custody Standard
• PEFC (Annex 6) – Certification and Accreditation Procedures
• SFI 2022 Section 4 Chain of Custody Standard
• SFI 2022 Section 9 Audit Procedures and Auditor Qualifications and Accreditation
• Ability to gather and record the objective evidence
• Ability to apply the conformity assessment methodologies
• Ability to draft the findings
• Strong technical, analytical and review skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Sound judgement and evaluation abilities
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, both within an assessment team, and with customers
• Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications, and web-based communications; familiar with the ICT technology.
• Work independently or with limited supervision
• Effectively represent SCC and follow SCC’s policies and procedures
• Meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
• Availability to travel within Canada and US, occasionally on short notice
• Work in a variety of industrial, commercial and manufacturing environments
• Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each essential qualification criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
• We are committed to creating and fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment that reflects the peoples’ lives that we impact and the Canadian community that we work within. We strive to create an environment where everyone is comfortable being their authentic selves. We welcome Indigenous peoples and persons from all races, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and physical or mental abilities to be part of our team.
• We strive to ensure a barrier-free selection process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, testing or interview, please advise us of the accommodation measures that you require to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
• We thank all applicants for their interest in SCC. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.