Architecture Student / Intern – Buildings (Summer 2023)
City : WHITEHORSE
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Architecture Student / Intern - Buildings (Summer 2023) - ( 220004DB )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We have an opportunity for an Architecture Student / Intern for a 4- up to 12-month term design role starting in May 2023. This opportunity is available in our Whitehorse, YT office.
As a student you will be working within teams on various projects in an innovative and design orientated environment with close guidance and direction from a Senior Designer or Architect. Responsibilities will be diverse and may range from the preparation of design drawings, studies, research, presentation materials, models, and technical drawings.
In the Territories, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas. Whether you’re interested in an adventure filled with fishing, hunting, skiing, biking, hiking or snowmobiling, or just looking to experience life in a beautiful, small urban centre, Whitehorse could be the place for you. Up here, work-life balance truly exists. Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conducts basic interpretations of sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Supports project team in development of design documentation.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Assists in research of concept, benchmarks, materials, typology, and precedents.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of Revit, AutoCad, and/or SketchUP and the use of it as a design tool.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture from an accredited university.
- Previous work experience would be an asset, but not required.
- A portfolio of project work will need to be provided for review. This can either be in pdf format or links to an online portfolio site.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 23, 2022, 5:04:18 PM
Req ID: 220004DB
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans