City : IQALUIT
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Architectural Technologist - ( 220000OS )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Canada’s North is different. You know that but, do you know how different and how it’s different?
Yes, it’s cold here – extremely cold at times and even in the Summer too. You may even know that it’s remote, but do you know just how remote? Remote is a one-shot barge in the later part of the summer or a winter road that will give you 6 or 7 weeks to truck materials in and retrieve the truck-tractor before the temporary road is bulldozed to protect the tundra. Or you can fly materials in, sometimes on an aircraft as small as a Twin Otter. With communities as small as 100 people, our construction workforce is scattered and challenged. It takes no small amount of time and experience to truly understand what our Clients and our Constructors face in this place.
That’s the challenge. And we will challenge you:
- to be open to the differences,
- to be open enough to them to recognize critical differences, and
- to show us that added sense and sensitivity to deal with many different cultures that you have what it takes to successfully deliver projects in critically different conditions.
We meet these challenges as a team. We jump in to help our colleagues. At the same time, we recognize when we need help and reach out in time. We become close-knit and rely on sharing our hard-won expertise and our extended support.
The Stantec Iqaluit office has an immediate opportunity for an Architectural Technologist to become part of our integrated Architecture and Engineering practice.
As an Architectural Technologist, you will work on tasks with guidance and direction from a Senior Designer or Architect. You will be assisting with designing schematics specialized in space programming and site planning as well as developing elevations, sections, and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting with innovative and creative new prototypes, designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conducts basic interpretations of sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Supports project team in development of design documentation.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Assist in research of materials and building systems.
- Assists with conceptualizing a building design from both a technical and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client’s requirements, budget and program.
- May participate in design critiques and pin-ups to evaluate constructability of design concepts.
- Internally presents the design to consulting disciplines during early project phases.
- Leverages a solid understanding of principles to develop building technology and systems in accordance with cost parameters.
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Evaluates and selects building systems and materials.
- Coordinates building systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Implements sustainable design principles into the design and environment.
- Analyzes site incorporating geotechnical, hydrological, environmental, social, economic and contextual conditions.
- Ensures that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction as it relates to building technology and systems.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Fundamental understanding of Revit, AutoCAD and the use of them as design tools.
- Basic experience with the most recent design software (Sketch-up, Photoshop, and Illustrator, etc.) is preferred.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Bluebeam; Prefer experience with Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP.
- Able to hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- Able to produce photorealistic renderings using a variety of software such as Enscape, Lumion, or similar platforms would be an asset.
- Able to participate and collaborate in project team setting.
- Able to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Able to interpret basic sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- Understanding of the relationship between drawings and specifications.
Education and Experience
Technical diploma in Building or Architectural Technology or equivalent in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of 2 years of experience required; 5 or more years of experience preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Nunavut-Iqaluit
Job : Building Technologist/Technician
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 22, 2022, 7:58:34 AM
Req ID: 220000OS
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans