Architect or Senior Technologist
City : VICTORIA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Architect or Senior Technologist - ( 220001F3 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
This role is for a self-starter who is capable of executing and managing projects autonomously from start of design to construction completion with the support of and in collaboration with others on the team as required by the project. You will help lead design as well as direct technical staff in the production of design and construction documents and conduct construction and contract administration activities for a wide range of project typologies. You will have the opportunity to be client facing as well as actively involved in construction administration and field services. You will be a part of a close-knit, communicative team that values long-term working relationships with our clients.
The Opportunity is to be a member of our Victoria Office, working directly with many clients all over Vancouver Island. Though focused on the island, our office maintains close ties with our office in Vancouver.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of various complexity/size.
- Provides day-to-day project oversight and communication with the client and project team.
- Leads project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owners and their stakeholders, contractors and sub-contractors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis including basic cost estimating.
- Interprets and applies building codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections and details.
- Participates in bidding and negotiation phases and prepares addenda.
- Reviews shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, prepares site observation reports and other contract administration tasks.
- Assists in the preparation of the project specifications and the coordination of specs with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability reviews.
- Responsible for site reviews and reports and contract administration
- Follows quality control procedures established by the practice.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
Your Capability and Credentials
- Project management and architectural experience in various sectors (healthcare, commercial, higher education and industrial buildings)
- Ability to interact well with internal clients, external clients, as well as in the field with subcontractors
- Good interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and problem-solving abilities
- Strong computer skills and literacy in scheduling, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma
- Ability to:
+ engage in creative and critical thought,
+ participate in project team setting,
+ lead one or more teams on a variety of project sizes
+ Check work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage team to meet project budget and schedule,
+ Interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Competent in technical/functional aspects of design including building envelope detailing.
- Understanding of the application of the BC Building Code, accessibility codes, energy codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- Thorough knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards and familiarity with construction administration and field review processes.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Architecture, Architectural Technology, or similar
- 5-8 years of related experience
- A minimum of 2 years of managing projects as a project manager or project architect
- 10 years of overall experience
- Construction Administration experience
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Some work from home is acceptable as part of Stantec’s flexible workplace strategy.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Victoria
Job : Architect
Organization : BC-1443 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 13, 2022, 9:44:51 AM
Req ID: 220001F3
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans