Aquatic Toxicologist/Ecotoxicologist – Atlantic
City : DARTMOUTH
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Aquatic Toxicologist/Ecotoxicologist - Atlantic - ( 220000C3 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec’s aquatic toxicology and ecotoxicology work in Ontario and Atlantic Canada spans from the inland waters to coastal and offshore marine environments, with projects across all sectors, including mining, manufacturing, commercial, oil and gas, and federal. Our team includes subject matter experts in freshwater and marine ecology, aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology that work together with contaminated site assessment and remediation specialists to deliver science-based solutions. Our team is versatile and supports colleagues with projects spanning across Canada, including territories to the north, the USA, and overseas. A role with Stantec provides the support of leading scientists, with the opportunity to grow your career in multiple directions.
Stantec has opportunities for Aquatic Toxicologists / Ecotoxicologists to join our team in Ontario and Atlantic Canada.
The ideal candidate has an advanced graduate of science degree that focuses on aquatic toxicology or ecotoxicology with several years of applied research / consulting experience coupled with excellent analytical and writing skills. An understanding of the fate and effects of metals, hydrocarbons, and other persistent contaminants in freshwater, estuarine and marine environments, including water and sediment, would be an asset.
Successful candidates will join our team as an Aquatic Toxicologist Ecotoxicologist with a focus on supporting aquatic ecological risk assessments, environmental effects monitoring studies, ecotoxicological assessment and modeling. As an Aquatic Toxicologist / Ecotoxicologist, you will conduct exciting work with multi-disciplinary teams on varied projects mainly in Ontario and Atlantic Canada and extending across Canada.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead and support aquatic and / or terrestrial ecotoxicology work for a wide variety of projects in accordance with provincial, territorial, and federal guidance, or other standard methods employed by Stantec
- Manage and interpret biological and/or chemical data
- Perform statistical analyses for ecotoxicological applications such as environmental effects monitoring - investigation of cause, and for ecological risk assessments
- Perform fate and effects modeling for contaminants in aquatic ecosystems
- Write technical reports
- Write and/or support development of proposals
- Actively participate in client management teams
- Actively participate in Stantec's Health, Safety, Security, and Environment Program to promote a strong health and safety culture at work and at home
- Follow Stantec’s safe work practices
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Understanding of the ecology of lakes and rivers and marine coastal environments
- Supporting field programs and leading field crews
- Experience conducting ecotoxicological studies that address fate and effects of contaminants to aquatic organisms in a variety of habitats
- Adaptable, able to solve problems in a fast-paced work environment
- Willingness to travel for work
- Analyzing/interpreting biological and chemical data
- Statistical experience and experience using statistical software (e.g., Excel, Systat, and/or R) is considered an important asset
- Writing clear, concise and accurate technical reports
- Supporting mentorship and field training of junior staff
- Strong interpersonal and social skills
- Detail oriented, excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to speak and write in French would be an asset
Education and Experience
A Ph.D. or a Master of Science degree with 3-5 years of related experience, focusing on aquatic toxicology / ecotoxicology. Relevant consulting or related research experience would be considered an asset.
Typical office environment involves working with computers and remaining relatively sedentary. Stantec offers a flexible work arrangement for desk-based tasks, combining home-based and/or office-based time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Other Locations : Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's
Job : Toxicologist
Organization : BC-1214 Environment Services-CA Atlantic Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 28, 2022, 3:43:31 PM
Req ID: 220000C3
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans