City : Guelph
Category : Other
Industry : Education and Research
Employer : University of Guelph
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Position covered by the Collective Agreement with USW Local 4120
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College
Temporary full-time from September 1, 2023 to December 20, 2024
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2023-0463
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Department of Biomedical Sciences is responsible for delivering professional and specialist education and research training in seven main research fields: Reproductive Biology and Development, the Cellular and Molecular Basis of Health and Disease, Biomedical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuroscience, Cancer Biology, Cardiovascular Physiology, and Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology. The Anatomy technician is responsible for practical student laboratory preparation, assisting with student centered learning, providing departmental technician support and managing teaching materials, resources, and equipment in anatomy.
- Provide formal laboratory instruction for Veterinary Anatomy, VETM*3070, and Biomedical Comparative Anatomy, BIOM*3010. Responsible for the technical needs associated with these courses and contributing to their instruction.
- Manage activities related to the Anatomy Laboratory, a facility heavily involved in experiential learning of veterinary and senior undergraduate students. The incumbent will: be involved in acquiring and embalming animal cadavers for use in anatomy related courses; serve as a technical advisor for veterinary and comparative anatomical instruction, and related research needs; be involved in training, due diligence and safety oversight; maintain, repair, and source laboratory equipment; be responsible for sourcing, ordering, and maintaining an inventory of laboratory consumables for the smooth running of the facility, and for cost recovery (as required) for these activities.
- Maintain and support the teaching and reference specimen collection known as the Anatomical Reference Collection (ARC), currently numbering some 1400 specimens. Curating, expanding, and maintaining the ARC. The incumbent will be involved in tracking loans, making repairs, and acquiring new materials for use in teaching and research.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor of Science related to anatomy plus related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference given to a Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Superior communication skills to allow dissemination of technical concepts and procedures to a diverse group of trainees.
- The ability to work independently and take responsibility for decision making within the Anatomy Laboratory.
- Strong computer skills associated with word processing and spread sheet programs
- Tact and diplomacy required for day-to-day interaction with students, faculty and staff; especially when difficult situations arise.
- Proficiency and knowledge of one or more anatomy related disciplines (e.g., gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy/histology), with the ability to communicate well and present information in a coherent manner to students, thus facilitating their comprehension.
- A practical/working knowledge of anatomy techniques.
Covering Position Number 230-121
Classification USW, Local 4120 Salary Band 6
Normal Hiring Range $29.63 - $33.11 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 08 21
Closing Date: 2023 08 28