Analyst, Capacity Design and Integration
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
Toronto or Mississauga, ON
Planning, Conservation & Resource Adequacy
As Ontario embarks on an ambitious plan to acquire the resources needed to ensure a reliable and cost effective supply of electricity, the Resource and System Adequacy team is hiring for several exciting positions at various levels of responsibility, including:
- Senior Advisor, Capacity Design and Integration (18426) - (12-month contract)
- Advisor, Capacity Design and Integration (18428)
- Analyst, Capacity Design and Integration (18429)
- Senior Advisor, Capacity Auction Administration (18388)
- Advisor, Market & System Adequacy (Financial Modeling) - (18390)
- Analyst, Procurement Operations (18402) - (8-month contract)
- Advisor, Procurement Operations (18393)
- Senior Advisor, Procurement Operations (18401)
- Advisor, Resource Acquisition (Transmission & Supply) - (18391)
These career openings offer a unique opportunity to gain experience in energy procurement development and operations, market and program design and development, contract negotiations, energy policy-making, project management and more. Candidates will contribute as part of a collaborative team to one or more key initiatives that will define Ontario’s future energy landscape including: Long-Term RFP, Medium-Term RFP, Capacity Auction, Ancillary Services Procurement, Unsolicited Proposal Process, Upgrades and Expansions, and the Small Hydro Program.
To meet the demands of an evolving sector, we require candidates with a wide range of skill sets. Prospective candidates with the following skills or areas of subject matter expertise are strongly encouraged to apply: energy markets, financial modelling, project management, procurement, business writing, contract and program rule development, stakeholder management and engagement, and electricity infrastructure development.
Applicants will have the opportunity to explore which roles best fit their career goals. To streamline the process, those who apply for multiple roles will only need to attend one interview. For more information, please reach out to the hiring supervisors.
What you’ll do
- Assist in the monitoring and study of developments and trends in electricity and other energy markets with a focus on capacity market and related mechanisms to secure resource adequacy. Provide support on information to management on the relevance of such to the Ontario electricity market and acquisition mechanisms in the form of reports, presentations, review and study results.
- Assist in assessing and linking short-term analysis to long term strategies; considers whether short-term goals will meet long term market development objectives.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in market theory and in current or proposed methods for energy/electricity trade, accreditation and assessment. Study academic, technical and financial reports, studies, books, journals etc. dealing with various aspects of energy markets. Work to keep updated on of technological developments and best practices in the industry as they apply to electricity markets.
- Assist in Preparation and review contingency plans for problems and situations that might occur, establish a course of action to accomplish long term goals.
- Assist on projects related to capacity market development initiatives. This may include working closely with and assisting external consultants retained for the same.
- Assist in the analysis and review of market development plans with the OEB and government agencies.
- Assist in the review and analysis of input from Compliance Section and Market Assessment Units and incorporation of findings into market development plans.
- Assist in the coordination and alignment of market development plans with the IESO business development plans.
- Assist in the evaluation of regulatory decisions both abroad and in Ontario to determine possible implications on Ontario electricity market.
- Contribute as assigned, on committees, task forces and in various forums. Make presentations, as assigned, concerning methods, results or analytical studies pertaining to market development plan to internal and external groups, as needed.
- Assist in the analysis and production of recommendations and reports on specific market development initiatives.
- Assist in the organization, conduct and participation in public stakeholdering of market development recommendations and reports prior to developing final recommendations.
- Assist in the development of Market Rule amendments as required.
- Assist in the development and delivery of internal and external training as required.
- Assist in the provision of information regarding market development and resource acquisition to market participants and others both within and outside of the IESO.
- Perform other duties/tasks that may be required/assigned
What you need to succeed
- Requires academic training in business, commerce, engineering, and economics at a level to understand and apply the technical/economical legislative parameters governing the energy industry and market place. Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral, in order to develop strategies, communicate and effectively interface with all contacts involved in accomplishing the work objectives.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a 4 year University degree, or equivalent.
- Requires an understanding of the energy business to become familiar with the inherent factors influencing the industry, a general understanding of the marketing impacts on the IESO and direct requirements related to the specialty of the function. Requires a background that allows for broad thinking and analytical and reasoning skills. Experience in building relationships and strong interpersonal skills. Must have management analysis skills and the ability to effectively complete work objectives/ assignments/projects on time.
- A period of over 4 years and up to and including 6 is considered necessary to gain this experience.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO commenced its 6-month Hybrid Work Model Pilot Program on March 28th, 2022. The Model allows for remote working up to three days per week, based on business needs. When working in the office, you will be located in Mississauga or Toronto.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2022 Employers, and what we offer.