Advisor, Market Development
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Mississauga, ON (Hybrid)
|Markets & Reliability
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
These are exciting times to work at the IESO! In the coming years, we will see an unprecedented transformation of the Ontario power grid. Our reliance on electricity will increase, driven by economic growth, decarbonisation and consumer preferences. As the first jurisdiction in North America to completely phase-out coal-fired electricity generation, Ontario is well positioned for this transition.
As Ontario’s electricity system and market operator, the IESO has a unique vantage point and responsibilities in assessing the adequacy of our resources and the reliability of our supply mix. The upcoming energy transformation will also need to leverage a robust energy market to promote efficient resource utilization and provide transparent and accurate price signals. With big changes coming to the sector we need to continue enhancing the electricity market.
This is an opportunity to join the team that evolves Ontario’s electricity markets to deliver efficiencies. The IESO is looking for experienced candidates from diverse backgrounds with strong communication skills. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to a wide range of initiatives that analyze, improve, and evolve the wholesale electricity market. Initiatives could include enabling new technologies, continuously improving electricity market design, and supporting the organization with analytical, economic, financial, and commercial expertise.
What you’ll do
- Analyze and review outcomes of the current Ontario electricity market and the future, enhanced electricity market to assess for potential improvements.
- Conduct studies to monitor developments and trends in electricity and other energy markets, provide advice to management on the relevance of such to the Ontario electricity market in the form of reports, presentations, review and study results.
- Assess and link short-term analysis to long term strategies; consider whether short-term goals will meet long term market development objectives.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in market theory and in current or proposed methods for energy/electricity trade. Peruse academic, technical and financial reports, studies, books, journals etc. dealing with various aspects of energy markets. Keep abreast of technological developments and best practices in the industry as they apply to electricity markets.
- Prepare contingency plans for problems and situations that might occur, and propose a course of action to accomplish long term goals.
- Participate in projects related to market design and development initiatives. This may include working closely with external consultants retained for the same.
- Analyze and review market development plans with the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) and government agencies.
- Review and analyze input from other stakeholders and incorporate findings into market development plans.
- Coordinate and align market design and development plans with the IESO business development plans.
- Review regulatory decisions both abroad and in Ontario to determine possible implications on Ontario electricity market. Synthesize and propose to incorporate any possible implications into the market development plans.
- Represent the Division or the IESO, as assigned, on committees, task forces and in various forums. Make presentations concerning methods, results or analytical studies pertaining to market design and development plans to internal and external groups, as needed.
What you need to succeed
Must have [OR Required]
- Academic training in business, commerce, engineering, and economics at a level to understand and apply the technical/economical legislative parameters governing the energy industry and market place.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral, in order to develop strategies, communicate and effectively interface with all contacts involved in accomplishing the work objectives.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a 4-year university degree, or equivalent.
- A background in the utility business or electricity sector to become familiar with the inherent factors and problems influencing the energy industry.
- A background that allows for broad thinking and high analytical and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the review of vast amounts of information, breaking it down, prioritizing and synthesizing several related trends to determine relevant impact within and outside Ontario.
- Experience in building relationships, strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- A commitment to demonstrate the behaviours that exemplify the IESO’s core values and form the basis of our shared culture
- A period of over 8 years and up is preferred to gain this experience.
Nice to have [OR Assets]
- Project management skills to effectively complete work objectives/projects on time and within budget
- Strong presentation skills.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario . When working in the office, you will be located at our Mississauga, ON location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2024 Employers, and what we offer.