Advisor IP Metro Product Line Management
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Product Line Management
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and also offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
We are seeking a veteran of L2/L3 networking to provide expertise and direction instrumental to the definition, development, marketing, and sales of Ciena’s routing and switching offerings. This position would report into the Ciena Product Line Management (PLM) organization as part of the Global Products & Services Division. You will define tactical objectives and roadmap to expand Ciena’s market leadership in programmable IP/Ethernet/optical routing products. Define key software feature functionality involving hardware & software products from across Ciena’s IP Metro portfolio, as well as interaction with Ciena SDN infrastructure and 3rd party products. The candidate must possess knowledge of IP and Carrier Ethernet networking as well as market trends in the routing and switching market place. Excellent verbal and written skills are required for interaction with customers as well as various internal groups.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Define and develop routing, switching and optical related requirements for applications such as Mobile Packet Backbone Networks, Data Center Interconnect, IP Metro, VPN Services
- Coordinate RFI/RFP response efforts in support of sales teams
- Participate and/or consult on RFP defense and executive briefings
- Demonstrate technical subject matter expertise to convey product/solution benefits and positioning to customers, marketing, and sales.
- Support of business development efforts across multiple market segments
- Work with engineering, manufacturing, and sales to develop new products or improve existing ones.
- Review software engineering test plans and bug scrubs
- Review product release notes and product documentation
- Assist in setting priorities and drive the roadmap for product improvements based on customer demand, general market demand, technology trends, and competitive analysis
- Assist sales in product presentations, collecting customers, assessing products to meet customer needs and in preparing detailed product specifications and proposals. Develop and/or assist in the development of applicable sales tools
- Work as a routing and switching subject matter authority providing consultation to internal Ciena organizations (e.g. Sales, Marketing, Global Tech Support, Network Services, etc.)
- Up to 20% travel required including international
- BS in engineering, computer science or equivalent with proven experience in product management, technical pre-sales, sophisticated technical support or similar role
- Solid understanding of IP networking, as it relates to Tier-1/2/3s, MSOs, ICPs and Data Center operators – an authority understanding of the architectures, use cases, products, trends, and driven positioning is required
- Knowledge in IPv4/v6, MPLS, Segment Routing, EVPN, Multicast and Carrier Ethernet
- Understanding in ROADM and WDM networking is a plus
- Awareness of IP technology evolution in standards bodies and industry forums (e.g. IETF)
- Routing certification preferred
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong presentation abilities (In person and online)
This role will be located in Canada
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.