Advisor, Health & Safety
City : Edmonton
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are hiring a Full Time Permanent Health and Safety Advisor position working out of Edmonton, Alberta.
The Health and Safety Advisor is accountable for advising on health, safety and environment programs, responding to incidents and taking innovative proactive measures to improve performance.
We are accepting applications from current EPCOR Employees and external applicants at this time.
What you’d be responsible for
Reporting to the Manager, Health and Safety, the Advisor is accountable for but not limited to:
- Working with all levels of management and employees to facilitate the implementation and administration of the Health and Safety Management System and attain compliance with applicable legislation, policies and procedures.
- Providing Health and Safety consultation and assisting in work observations, workplace inspections, risk assessments, hazard analysis, job planning, and incident investigations.
- Participating in the development of health and safety performance measures, interpreting results and coaching/influencing staff on how to improve performance.
- Providing interpretation and application of health and safety rules, regulations and legislation to management, staff and Health and Safety Committees.
- Acting as a subject matter expert in the creation and review of Health and Safety training courses and protocols/procedures as required.
- Networking with industry peers to ascertain potential best practices for adoption into EPCOR practices and procedures.
- Supporting the Health and Safety team in the development and maintenance of the Health and Safety Management System and our customer’s needs.
- Advising managers and supervisors on appropriate management practices to achieve a positive, resilient safety culture.
- Preparing effective, meaningful and timely safety meetings on a monthly basis.
What’s required to be successful
Qualifications, experience and behaviors you will possess are:
- A vehicle and valid Class 5 driver’s license is required as this role involves travel throughout the City.
- Post-secondary education completed (Health, Safety & Environment Certificate, Diploma or Degree).
- Minimum of 3-5 years of related Health and Safety experience.
- CRSP/CRST or professional designation in progress.
- Strong understanding of Health and Safety regulatory requirements.
- Experience participating in incident investigations, root cause analysis, audits, and creating/delivering meeting materials.
- Understanding of health and safety performance metrics and analytics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to:
- Develop, coordinate and manage multiple requests, projects and job demands with a wide variety of key stakeholders;
- Understand and anticipate specific business drivers, and influence, facilitate and participate in the development and implementation of health and safety plans, goals and objectives;
- Develop Health and Safety performance measures, interpret results and coach/influence staff on how to improve performance.
As our best candidate, you possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and are fully engaged and committed to making innovative improvements on an ongoing basis. You take ownership and demonstrate initiative by achieving objectives on schedule and to a defined standard. You respond to change with an open attitude and demonstrate a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish your work and objectives. In addition, you collaborate well with others and are able to deliver results, plan and organize work, and develop and meet schedules.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Application deadline:April 3, 2023
Internal EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.