Advisor, Communications – Market Education
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Mississauga or Toronto - Hybrid|
|Business Unit:||Corporate Relations, Stakeholder Engagement & Innovation|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Market Education Communications Advisor will develop customer-focused outreach and engagement strategies to support the market education program. The market education program will help the target audience understand the electricity market and opportunities to actively participate in the electricity sector.
The communications advisor will coordinate the development and implementation of communications materials for specific policy and program initiatives, ensuring that all content meets organizational standards. The communications advisor will also represent the company at a variety of events relating to the market education program including working groups, information sessions and industry conferences.
What you will be doing
- Design and implement outreach and engagement plans, reaching the identified target audiences and associations.
- Attend conferences and speaking engagements as the subject matter expert on the electricity market, pricing, and customer opportunities to participate in the electricity sector.
- Work with staff and customers on communications requirements, assess public and stakeholder environments and likely reactions to proposed initiatives, and translate these into communications approaches and products. Obtain approvals for plans and content of materials from appropriate employees.
- Develop of communication and marketing materials to support the market education strategy: review, edit and write copy for brochures, videos, presentations, external newsletters, and web based materials.
- Manage vendors such as designers, writers, video production, and technical service providers who support marketing efforts, providing direction and overseeing the quality of work.
- Assess the needs and knowledge gap of target audience through market research.
- Maintain an understanding of plans, activities and issues in key areas of the IESO and their potential impact on the IESO’s relationships with its customers, energy industry, and the general public. Maintain an awareness of latest communications techniques, customer service, stakeholder and public policy trends developing or being used outside the organization.
- Respond to written or oral requests for information from the public, media, key stakeholders and employees and in response to articles or public statements by these groups as required within specified tight time frames.
- Represent the company at a variety of events relating to the market education program including working groups, information sessions and industry conferences.
- Perform other duties as required.
What you need to succeed
- Requires a knowledge of communications, engagement or business development.
- Experience in outreach or marketing with the ability to translate technical and/or specialized material and terminology into language that is appropriate for target audience.
- Requires an strong understanding of Canadian Press (CP) style.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the completion of four years University training in an appropriate field or by having the equivalent level.
- Requires experience in customer education, outreach, or engagement on energy management and/or electricity pricing in the province.
- Requires experience in gathering, researching and preparing communications materials for external audiences.
- Requires experience gained in communications, media or public relations to acquire an understanding of effective communication and marketing techniques, planning, methods and practices.
- Requires experience to maintain an understanding of plans, activities and issues in key areas of the IESO and their potential impact on the IESO’s relationships with its audiences.
- Familiarity with the organization, the interrelationships between departments, communication policies, strategies, and facility operational activities.
A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
Nice to have (OR Assets)
- Requires a strong knowledge of the province's electricity sector, markets, billing practices, and familiarity with technical concepts associated with managing the power grid.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario. When working in the office, you will be located at either at our Mississauga or Toronto office.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2023 Employers, and what we offer.