City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $36.19
Posting Date: May 23rd, 2023
Closing Date: May 29th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Under the administrative direction of the Manager, Admissions, the incumbent is responsible to co-ordinate admission activities for post-secondary programs with the goal of admitting qualified applicants to meet the college’s established new student enrolment targets.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
Facilitate admission activities for specific programs and participate in recruitment events:
- Evaluate academic background of prospects and applicants, including test scores, secondary school, university, college and foreign transcripts to determine admissibility
- Facilitate and advise prospects and applicants on appropriate and practical solutions to meet admission requirements, time sensitive to admission dates and competitiveness
- Support recruitment and promote college programs to both prospects and applicants by advising on college offerings and programs, in-person, by telephone, email, open houses, program orientations and through virtual events
- Create and manage offers of admission and wait lists to ensure new student enrolment targets are met, and make recommendations where additional enrolment could be achieved.
- Manage wait lists to determine the next qualified applicants are considered when space is available – regular communication with applicants to ensure wait lists are current and continue to have potential
- Communicate with prospects and applicants – recommend realistic goals in terms of getting into their program of choice, advising on program content
- Act as a resource to academic departments, advising on applicant trends and new or revised system procedures
- Follow-up with non-qualified applicants, evaluating their application and providing advice on options available to meet program admissions requirements, i.e. College and Career Preparation, Canadian Language Benchmark testing, St. Charles, College Preparatory courses, Academic Upgrading etc. Often non-qualified will not follow through on writing mature applicant tests – provide alternative options
- Review applicant data and follow-up with applicants who do not confirm with Mohawk College or make a fee commitment and providing information to assist them in making the decision to attend Mohawk
- Facilitate and support student success by providing pathways information to students bridging from post-secondary to graduate programs at Mohawk and university completion opportunities
- Evaluate and maintain accurate applicant records to support strategic enrolment decisions
- Provides information and advice to all applicants on program options and assist in determining the most appropriate programs available at Mohawk. As well, provides information on services available to assist applicants in determining program interest at Mohawk best suited to meet the applicant’s educational objective.
- Provides additional information on services to applicants with accommodation. Once confirmed the applicant has access to Accessible Learning Services. During the enquiry stage, the incumbent bridges the gap.
Non-qualified applicants may be assessed as mature students and write tests in English and Mathematics for the majority of our diploma programs. The incumbent will determine admissibility by:
- Evaluating the applicants academic background and determining the appropriate tests required to satisfy admission requirements for their programs of choice
- Support the referral of the mature applicant test, actively communicate with the prospective student and review and assess results
- Advising the applicant of solutions that best fit the applicant’s personal circumstances and timeframe
Post Graduate Certificate Programs:
- Assess the academic background of post graduate applicants manually to determine the applicant’s eligibility
- The incumbent co-ordinates a detailed manual admission process for these programs which is particular and complex. They can involve tracking external certifications or applicants that are foreign trained professionals. The analysis of their documentation requires more research and interpretation. Admissions decisions may be referred to the Academic School for support.
Maintain accurate applicant records and evaluate applicant status by:
- Determining the ranking order of eligible applicants by calculating and posting GPA’s, test scores, upgraded marks and other selection criteria marks for oversubscribed programs
- Override the automated admission process to move applicants/waitlisted applicants into an offer status
- Generating admission reports to follow-up on various categories of applicants
- Monitor admission data/reports for the purpose of meeting enrolment targets and identifying applicant trends
Process program withdrawals and initiate tuition fee refunds by:
- Advising withdrawn students on alternate program choices, upon request, and where a student does not choose to see a Student Success Advisor
- Processing program withdrawals – responsible to enter data on several screens on Banner
- Checking tuition fees paid and determining if a tuition refund is appropriate (beyond automation of the system, exceptions)
- Completing appropriate forms for Accounts to initiate refund
- Is primary contact for responding to student enquiries on tuition fees paid and refunds
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Acting as a primary contact with applicants and students to interpret and communicate College and Ministry policies on admissions, fees and program withdrawals and including external policies such as Refugee Claimant status, Ontario College Application Services (OCAS)
- The incumbent will assist in proofreading college publications for accuracy of content, i.e. calendar, OCAS guidebook, program brochures, inserts, open/closed/wait program listings, Registration and Fee Guide and provide input for clarity.
- The incumbent will scrutinize and investigate problems with computer programs to determine credibility of data and provide feedback for improvement and the development of reports used to quality assure data
- Makes presentations and attends events for the purpose of recruitment, act as alternate for external Marketing Recruitment Officers when the need arises
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- 3 year post-secondary diploma/degree or equivalent combination of work experience in a Registrarial Environment, Communications, Marketing, or related field
- Five years related work experience with heavy emphasis on verbal and written communication and providing strong customer service
- Experience or training working with computer software applications, Integrated Information Systems, Banner and Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/