ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 2 (Toronto, ON, CA, M5B 1W2)
City : Toronto
Category : Administrative
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
- Job ID: 33628
- Job Category: Administrative
Division & Section: Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration, Office of the Executive Director, PPF&A
Work Location: City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
- Job Type & Duration: Temporary, Full-Time (12 months)
Salary: $61,861.80 - $72,672.60 Annually, TX0003, Wage Grade 4
- Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
- Affiliation: Non-Union
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 25-Nov-2022 to 08-Dec-2022
As the Administrative Assistant 2, you will be responsible for supporting the Office of the Executive Director, PPF&A to perform varied senior level administrative duties and program support functions for the Division.
- Performs varied administrative duties and clerical functions in connection with the operation of an organizational unit. May provide work direction and training to assigned staff.
- Exercises caution and discretion with labour relations, personnel and other confidential information. Types correspondence including that of a confidential nature, such as disciplinary letters.
- Handles scheduling of appointments and ensures that the appropriate information is provided.
- Conducts background research, investigations and retrieves information on various issues.
- Screens, reviews and prioritizes incoming mail, processes correspondence, and initiates response.
- Ensures that the tracking and following up of requests is maintained and deadlines are met.
- Monitors and controls the workflow of the unit, ensuring adherence to relevant policies.
- Liaises with and exchanges information with all levels of staff, elected officials and the public.
- Prepares and processes various documents/statistical summaries/reports requiring the assessment and analysis of data. Drafts correspondence, composes and types letters and memoranda and routes or answers correspondence.
- Checks work for accuracy and conformity with regulations, policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items prior to signature.
- Operates various office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation material utilizing detailed layout and formatting.
- Coordinates and maintains a complex record/retrieval system. Maintains supplies and inventories.
- Responds to enquiries and complaints from senior staff, the public, agencies, and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria, etc. and records detailed messages.
- Assists with budget administration for the unit. Administers petty cash.
- Coordinates meetings, events and schedules. Takes/transcribed minutes as required.
- Maintains continuous awareness of municipal matters, departmental administrative systems and procedures, organization structures in the division, and major activities in order to provide effective administrative assistance.
- Prepares and organizes Council materials (including confidential and employment/labour relation matters), background, briefing notes. Formats Committee reports prior to signature.
- Considerable experience in providing administrative support duties to senior management, handling a broad range of administrative matters, standard office practices and procedures.
- Experience in planning and organizing appointments, meetings, interviews, conferences and/or special events.
- Considerable experience taking minutes at meetings, required follow-up activities, preparation and drafting of standard correspondence and reports, editing the layout and formatting complex reports, correspondence, charts, tables and reports to Council and Committees
- Considerable experience in the use of a variety of software packages including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, to prepare correspondence, presentations, create statistical reports and charts related to organizing, analyzing and reporting data.
- Highly proficient in handling confidential materials/information for senior management and ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with highly confidential operational matters and with management staff.
- Ability to create content and maintain the unit's web site and serve as the primary contact for inquiries that originate from the web site.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including the political level, members of the public and external agencies.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail, and ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities and work demands.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to handle sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, prioritizing work schedule, complete assigned duties within timelines.
- Must be resourceful, flexible, adaptable, and possess a high degree of common sense and initiative.
- Must be flexible to work long hours in peak periods and be able to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.