City : Surrey, BC
Category : 6436-Accessibility Services
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: ACCESSIBILITY ADVISOR
Reporting to the Director, Accessibility Services s position is responsible for planning, implement, and monitor individualized accommodations and supports for a case load of students with disabilities to ensure KPU meets its legal duty to accommodate. This involves assessing student needs, identifying alternative ways for students to participate in learning environments, determining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, and working collaboratively with instructors. Accessibility Advisors work one-on-one with students on a daily basis and are responsible for independently making accommodation decisions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Successful completion of a relevant undergraduate degree.
• A minimum of three years’ experience working with adults with disabilities, preferably in a post-secondary environment
• Experience planning, implementing, and monitoring disability-related accommodations, preferably in an adult learning environment
• Experience interpreting the implications of various types of disabilities within an educational context
• Understanding of national and provincial duty-to-accommodate legislation and landscape in post-secondary education
• Experience managing a case load, including conducting structured interviews, keeping detailed, confidential notes, proactive management, and case conferencing
• Knowledge of community resources for people with disabilities
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, and internal and external service partners
• Experience being responsible to effectively intervene and resolve complex, sensitive, and stressful situations
• Demonstrated competency with workplace technology (such as MS office, data bases) and assistive technology (such as text-to-speech, screen readers) and aptitude for learning new software
• Ability to manage priorities, time, and deadlines independently
click here for a detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.