Academic Scheduling Officer
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell/Hybrid
Rate of Pay: $30.87
Posting Date: May 5th, 2023
Closing Date: May 12th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
Please be advised that according to Support Staff Collective Agreement Article 17.1, Internal Full Time Support Staff will be given first consideration for five (5) days from the date of this posting. Preference will be given to qualified regular Full Time employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Academic Scheduling Officer
Reporting to the Manager, Scheduling and Registration, the Academic Scheduling Officer is responsible for the analysis of data from Academic areas, manipulation, construction, distribution and maintenance of full-time Post-Secondary, Continuing Education, Apprenticeship, and Final Examination timetables at the multi-campus Mohawk College.
The incumbent will create optimal timetables which meet the educational requirements of all programs and follow faculty and student guidelines while ensuring the most efficient utilization of college space. The incumbent also shares responsibility for the Academic room booking process, including requests for meeting space and midterm testing at the Fennell Campus.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
Produces student, faculty, and room timetables for Post-Secondary Programs, Apprenticeship, and CE Programs at all campuses:
- Deciphers, analyses and verifies all scheduling data received from Summit at the beginning of each scheduling cycle and when changes are requested after preliminary and final schedules have been distributed. Consults with the academic designate regarding discrepancies, errors and omissions.
- Ensures all courses have been assigned in accordance with the correct version of the College-approved Program of Studies and reports discrepancies to the Academic Department. Consults with the Academic Data Officer when required.
- Identifies and notifies the academic designate or the Coordinator of Scheduling and Academic Support of problems including requests which are not feasible or desirable due to space, faculty or student constraints or would create enrolment or registration issues. Assesses timetable requirements and determines whether a program needs to be manually scheduled or can be prepared for automated scheduling process.
- Prepares data for automated scheduling based on faculty workload, faculty restrictions and accommodations, specialty room/lab hours and availability, general electives, common hour, option courses, classroom and microlab availability, section and academic block sizes. Works closely with staff at satellite campuses to ensure accurate timetables are produced.
- Completes validations and timetable simulations prior to scheduling to further identify issues and potential problems. Brainstorms and develops solutions which will have the most positive impact on student schedules.
- Analyses results of the scheduling process (through Timetabler application) to determine which data can be further manipulated to create a better outcome. Makes necessary changes and reruns the scheduling process until optimal results are achieved.
- Manually schedules all courses rejected during the scheduling process, requiring complex changes involving multiple student, faculty and room schedules in order to accommodate timetable requests.
- Reviews preliminary schedules with academic designated for errors, omissions, and workload changes; processes changes before publishing final schedules.
- Maintains the database’s room inventory for all college campuses. Ensures the database is up-to-date and accurate for the upload to Banner as determined by the Time Ticketing schedule for student registration based on critical deadlines determined by the College. Works closely with the Business Analyst to identify and correct issues prior to the upload.
- Completes all changes in the Timetabler Database and Banner, and informs Academic Departments daily of changes to ensure students and faculty have accurate and up to date schedules.
- Reviews the scheduling process after each semester, identifying problems and concerns; develops solutions and suggestions for improvement for the next semester for the Academic Departments as well as processes within the Academic Scheduling Office.
Produces final exam timetables for students, faculty, and rooms for Post-Secondary Programs:
- Develops and distributes exam request forms to Academic Departments and follows up with academic designate to ensure requests are received within the set deadlines.
- Reviews, verifies, and makes adjustments and corrections where needed for all exam requests received from each Academic Department.
- Identifies and informs Academic Departments of problems including requests which are not feasible or desirable due to space, faculty or student constraints; recommends solutions and develops alternate plans of action.
- Analyzes data and compares exam requests to the testing space available and develops a plan of action for manual and/or automated scheduling.
- Continuously prioritizes, manages, and processes change requests from Academic Departments as a result of faculty requests, faculty workload changes, late request submissions, conflicts and unforeseen factors such as room unavailability and weather issues.
- Provides up-to-date room information for all College stakeholders.
- Reviews the exam process after each semester, identifying problems and concerns, and develops solutions and suggestions for improvement for the next semester for the Academic Departments as well as processes within the Academic Scheduling Office.
Produces Continuing Education timetables:
- Reviews validation reports for the upload of courses from the Continuing Education Calendar to TPH Events each semester and reports unresolved discrepancies, errors, and room conflicts to the C.E. Support Officers to make necessary revisions to the data.
- Analyzes data and makes necessary adjustments where room conflicts arise, taking into consideration room characteristics and software locations.
- Identifies which courses need to be manually scheduled and schedules remaining courses based on pre-defined priority codes. Reviews all rejected courses and determines which data can be manipulated and corrected in order to schedule.
- Prioritizes and processes all change requests from the departments based on the scheduling results as well as course updates, new course creates, faculty accommodations and enrolment increases.
- Monitors and processes course cancellations daily, including C.E. Course Waitlist, prioritizing/assigning rooms to courses as space becomes available due to cancellations
- Uploads the C.E. schedules to the Mohawk College Continuing Education website daily to ensure faculty and students have the correct room information.
- Communicates daily C.E. room lists to stakeholders groups as requested.
- Reviews the C.E. scheduling process after each semester, identifying problems and concerns, and develops solutions and suggestions for improvement for the next semester for the C.E. Support Officers as well as processes within the Academic Scheduling Office.
Co-ordinates the Central Room Booking process:
- Prioritizes and processes requests for space using the Infosilem WhereEnCampus Enterprise software; responding to the needs of management, staff, and faculty for all college activities while maximizing space utilization and supporting the needs of the Ancillary Services department for external bookings.
- Provides expertise and makes suggestions for alternative space when the original request cannot be accommodated.
- Facilitates midterm testing when possible from requests submitted by faculty and Academic Departments.
- Prepares and distributes the Special Events Calendar to College stakeholder groups.
Performs other duties such as:
- Prepares statistical information and reports relating to space utilization as requested.
- Prepares and processes timetable simulations for pilot projects, renovations, and changes to standard processes; analyses results, identifies problems, and develops solutions and recommendations.
- Prepares EnCampus Timetabler and Exam databases each semester, ensuring room information is kept up to date and accurate.
- Performs data transfers each semester from the EnCampus Timetabler database to the Exam and Enterprise databases and for data from the CE Catalogue to Timetabler.
- Prepares for software upgrades and software installations. Completes testing of upgrades through executing all possible actions on the test database before upgrading the production database.
- Acts as backup to the Co-ordinator of Scheduling and Academic Support for enrolment/registration management.
- Assists Co-ordinator of Scheduling and Academic Support with Timeticketing and validation reports.
- Provides assistance to other members of the department or stakeholder groups, when new department members are hired; including software that is being introduced to users throughout the College.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a two-year post-secondary education in Office Administration, Business or other related programs
- A minimum of three years of practical experience in a related position
- Experience working in a post-secondary environment would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/