Chief Corporate Services Officer – WSIB
City : Toronto or London
Category : Regular FT
Industry : Finance
Employer : Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
About the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
We’re here to help. When an injury or illness happens on the job, we move quickly to provide wage-loss benefits, medical coverage and support to help people get back to work. Funded by businesses, we also provide no-fault collective liability insurance and access to industry-specific health and safety information. We are one of the largest insurance organizations in North America covering over five million people in more than 300,000 workplaces across Ontario. For more information, visit wsib.ca.
At the WSIB, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- explore many career paths and follow your passion
- continuously learn and grow professionally
- be recognized for the great work you do
- participate in programs that support your health and wellbeing
You’ll also receive a competitive salary, along with a comprehensive benefit package and defined benefit pension plan.
Location: Toronto or London
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Corporate Services Officer is responsible for overseeing the planning, development and execution of all policy management, real estate and facilities management, strategic sourcing and vendor services, business analytics and communications activities and initiatives to support the achievement of the WSIB’s strategic and corporate business goals. As a member of the senior executive team, the role provides strategic leadership, vision and direction to division activities including continuous improvements to create efficiencies and seek optimal ways to work and identifying opportunities to partner with third parties for non-core services, to ensure the delivery of organizational goals, priorities and strategic direction. The Chief Corporate Services Officer provides leadership, structure and process to division staff, ensuring quality performance and compliance with policies and practices.
- Provides leadership and direction in the execution of all Corporate Services cluster services and support functions for the organization, ensuring WSIB’s objective and goal achievement are supported and that all established processes are in compliance with WSIB policies and practices and regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Ensures ongoing work quality and deliverable achievement, providing advice and operations management support in the resolution of highly complex and sensitive issues, facilitating and influencing outcomes, and managing cross-organizational challenges.
- Ensures all WSIB operations and corporate policies are developed and maintained, monitoring relevancy and continued alignment with legislation and regulatory guidelines and ensuring new policy developments are thoroughly researched, support stakeholder and legislative requirements and are aligned with WSIB’s mandate.
- Oversees the management of WSIB’s library services, ensuring support materials, legislative and historical documentation are available to internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversees the development, management and maintenance of the strategic sourcing and vendor services function to ensure the capability to drive continuous improvement, manage challenging internal and external conditions, and perform flawlessly during periods of process, resources and operating environment changes.
- Oversees the development, management and maintenance of a real estate and facilities strategy. This involves analysis and determination of the optimal use of WSIB realty space and assets, cost effectiveness and synergies; recommendations on upgrades, changes, decommissioning of assets and real estate portfolio.
- Oversees the development, management and maintenance of an effective corporate security strategy in order to assess and mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations and safeguard the organization's integrity, people, processes and assets from harm and loss.
- Oversees business analytics and predictive statistical analytical activities, ensuring timely information and statistical data are provided to inform strategy and priority development, support enterprise level decision-making, and enable business areas to facilitate ongoing operational/ service delivery.
- Oversees the management of media relations, and internal and external communications and public relations activities, ensuring key message platforms are developed in alignment with business strategies and priorities and directly support the high profile/politically sensitive issues having significant impact to WSIB reputation and the achievement of enterprise goals and objective.
- Oversees enterprise change management supporting internal and external stakeholders impacted by organizational, technological, and operational changes
Planning & Development:
- Collaborates with President/CEO, Chief Officers and Senior Executives across the organization to develop and implement WSIB organizational goals and strategies, providing input, expertise and advice on strategic initiative and priority planning and development, and contributing to the development of the annual and strategic business plans.
- Develops and executes long and short term operational/business strategies and plans for the cluster, determining goals and objectives to support WSIB’s strategic and operational priorities, establishing performance and success measures, preparing appropriate plan documents, and evaluating impacts of changing priorities and emerging issues, and adapting strategies and plans accordingly.
- Ensures cluster budgets are developed and effectively managed, identifying short and long term operational, capital and staff budget requirements, monitoring budget adherence, identifying variances, resolving issues, and authorizing expenses, capital expenditures and deviations from budget expectations.
- Develops strong, collaborative working relationships with Chief Officers, Executives, Board and Committee members across the organization to understand business strategies and operational concerns, maintain an awareness of issues and initiatives, provide advice and input on critical issue resolution and strategic/risk planning activities, and ensure strategic cluster priorities are clearly understood and communicated and the achievement of outcomes and expectations are effectively managed.
- Develops and manages relationships with external stakeholders, government and Ministry representatives, external professional associations, legal community, partners and industry colleagues, providing insight and clarification on issues and service delivery expectations, maintaining an awareness of emerging issues, trends and shifts in legislation/regulations, and identifying opportunities to introduce service/operational enhancements to WSIB.
- Manages relationships with contractors and vendors to facilitate contract negotiations, and to ensure issues are resolved and service delivery/performance expectations are effectively managed.
Quality & Risk Management:
- Ensures Corporate Services cluster operational and service delivery policies, processes and protocols are established and adhered to, maintaining an awareness of political, economic and legislative implications impacting ingoing work quality and efficiencies, identifying areas of risk and vulnerability, and developing strategies to address issues and mitigate risk exposures.
- Identifies opportunities for cost efficiencies and improving quality and services delivered, ensuring continued alignment with organizational strategies and priorities, developing success indicators and measurement tools, ensuring timely and cost effective development and implementation of improvement initiatives and implementation of project/initiative deliverables, and encouraging staff to embrace changes and new initiatives.
- Oversees people resource planning activities, ensuring ideal organizational structure, staff numbers and expertise support business results and priority achievement, effective processes and metrics are in place and are consistently managed, performance management and skill development activities facilitate employee growth and development, and succession plans are developed and implemented to promote organizational stability and seamless manager/leader transitions.
- Optimizes financial, technical and staff resources allocations, ensuring people management, development and implementation efforts are aligned with the overall organization’s vision and opportunities to leverage staff skill sets and resources across the organization are facilitated.
Education and Experience:
- University Degree in Business, Economics or equivalent field.
- 15+ year’s applicable experience, including 10 years progressive management experience at a senior/executive level.
Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
We respect and value the diversity of our people. We strive to create an environment where employees can be themselves and where our differences are celebrated.
The WSIB is committed to being accessible and inclusive, and following barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know when we contact you and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclosing conflicts of interest
As public servants, employees at the WSIB have a responsibility to act in an ethical way at all times to create a respectful workplace and maintain public trust. Job applicants are required to disclose any circumstance that could result in a real, potential or perceived conflict of interest. A conflict of interest is any situation where your private interests may impair or be perceived to impair the decisions you make in your official capacity. This may include: political activity, directorship, other outside employment and certain personal relationships (e.g. with current WSIB employees, customers and/or stakeholders). If you have any questions about conflict of interest obligations and/or how to make a disclosure, please contact the Talent Acquisition Centre at email@example.com.
We collect personal information from your resume, application, cover letter and references under the authority of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997. The Talent Acquisition Centre and WSIB hiring parties will used this information to assess/validate your qualifications, determine if you meet the requirements of vacant positions and/or gather information relevant for recruitment purposes. If you have questions or concerns regarding the collection and use of your personal information, please contact the WSIB’s Privacy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Privacy Office cannot provide information about the status of your application.
As a precondition of employment, the WSIB requires that prospective candidates undergo a criminal records name check any time before or after they are hired.
To apply for this position, please submit your application by the closing date.