City : Guelph
Category : Other
Industry : Food
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR (12 MONTH CONTRACT)
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,000 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
This position is accountable for the overall Health & Safety function at the facility as well as assisting with general Human Resources duties.
• Administration of Health and Safety forms including: Form 7, FAF, correspondence to WSIB, modified log forms & WSIB tracking spreadsheet.
• Monthly inspections of emergency equipment (emergency lighting, eye wash and showers, fire extinguishers, AED, safety doors & exits).
• Preparation of monthly Health & Safety meeting talks for Supervisors. This includes determining the appropriate topic and ensuring that the Supervisor is prepared and able to deliver the required information effectively and that it is appropriately documented.
• Provides support, direction and guidance to hourly employees and supervisors for matters involving WSIB and non-occupational work accommodation including identifying suitable modified work and Early and Safe Return to Work.
• Liase with WSIB or other external service providers, employees and management team regarding WSIB claims and Early and Safe Return to Work.
• Monthly analysis of accidents and injuries and compilation of monthly safety reports including the updating of period reports and the Health and Safety MCR.
• Monitors and updates communications on Health and Safety bulletin board and/or HR bulletin board.
• Acts as an extension of the JHSC (preparing monthly agenda’s, minutes, inspection reports, occasionally accompanying JHSC worker rep during inspections) the implementation of and adherence of all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
• Reviews and follows up with supervisors to ensure timeliness, appropriateness of accident investigations and follow through on corrective action and root cause analysis.
• Designated to be the back-up emergency response plan coordinator.
• Assists with or conducts Job hazard analysis, Physical demands analysis and creates safe work procedures.
• Assists with Human Resources and Health and Safety policy creation and implementation as well as annual review.
• Provides guidance to employees (hourly and salaried) on the interpretation of HR and H&S policies.
• Health & Safety orientation/training of new employees and preparation and delivery of other safety training as needed
• Arranges for any external safety training (first aid, AED, JHSC certification, SkyJack etc)
• Maintains annual WHMIS training records and the facility Emergency Response Plan
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Completion or working towards a post graduate HR or Health & Safety specialization program
• Minimum 3 years experience in the Health & Safety function
• A proven track record of proactively managing a Health & Safety program
• Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve a “safety first” culture
• Initiative, drive, demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills
• Results orientated, able to work as part of a functional team and must be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Core Values
• Excellent planning and organizational skills plus the ability to manage multiple priorities
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledgeable in Health & Safety principles
• Proficiency in MS Office
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated